President's Report – January 2014
Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow, so I’m hoping there are only six more weeks of this freezing weather left, but really I’m praying that he’s wrong. This time of year is historically slow for news, so I don’t have much to report except that we raised A BOAT LOAD OF MONEY for our charities at TOP 2014. Those that were able to beg, borrow and steal tickets to attend were not disappointed. The food was remarkable and the room looked awesome. It proved to be a little more expensive of a night than I anticipated thanks to my wife but “Hey I’m going to Disney World” after all.
January saw our best attended meeting in over 5 years with over 75 members in attendance, mostly thanks to our four time State-Champion football team attending last Thursday. Our Taste of the Panhandle Fundraiser netted over $40,000 which will be donated to Shenandoah Women’s Center and CCAP Loaves and Fishes.The committee and its leaders (Gail and Pam) really put on a show. The event was truly an experience never to be forgotten and went off without a hitch.
February is World Understanding Month on the Rotary calendar; so let’s all try to keep our international brothers and sisters of Rotary in mind. Just remember how lucky we are to be in this great country with all its ups and downs. It is still the greatest country on the entire planet. We are born free and get to choose who leads us. The district conference is April 25th through the 27th at the Holiday Inn in Breinigsville, PA. If you are interested in attending please see me for details.
|Membership (As of Jan 31)||138||Loss of 2|
|Attendance||49%||Gain of 1%|
|Foundation Giving (As of Jan 31)||$12,213.85||87.24% of Goal|
|Dues Paid (As of Jan 31)||–||–|
|Engagement (YTD)||88%||88% of Goal|
- Unfortunately Herman did not get the District Governor position. However, at least he represented us well. It all fell apart when he mentioned he was friends with Doug
- We are in search of committee members to join the membership committee and devise a plan on how to engage our current members as well as attract new members.
- Doug Arndt is STILL working on updating all the birthdays and pictures on www.DACDB.com
- The newly founded Spring Mills Interact club will be our program on the 27th of this month where we will present their club with a $1000 check, and they will give us their plan on how they will use it.
- February is Hedgesville month for our student guests.
- Great News – Thanks to Maria Lorensen, Buzz Poland has found a host family for the next 6 months of this year for our exchange student. A special thanks go out to Bob and Kathleen Trumble for accepting Mora into their home. Please do not hesitate to invite Mora to dinner at your house over the next few months. She is eager to meet the membership and I am sure you will learn something from her.
- Past President Pam Wagoner, Gail Moxley, Kathy Mason and their amazing committees for TOP 2014 outdid themselves by raising a record amount for TOP.
Yours in Service ,