October 10, 2016 Grapevine
UPCOMING MARTINSBURG ROTARY NOON MEETING –
When – This Thursday, October 13th at noon
Where – Holiday Inn, Martinsburg
Program – Sted Howard “Martinsburg Roundhouse” rescheduled from 9/29/16
Featured students – Hedgesville High School.
UPCOMING MARTINSBURG ROTARY EVENING (SATELLITE) MEETING –
- Everyone welcome. Bring a friend.
This week’s meeting – Thursday, October 13th (5:45 pm) at The Hub, Martinsburg
- Mixer this Friday, October 14th (5:30 – 730 pm) at Shepherd University Center in Martinsburg
Future evening meetings –
- Thursday, October 20th (5:45 pm) at The Hub, Martinsburg. Program – Kevin Knowles.
- Thursday, October 27th (5:45 pm) at The Hub, Martinsburg. Program – Landon Dunham.
FUTURE PROGRAMS FOR THURSDAY NOON MEETING –
If you have program suggestions, please see Amanda Vance, Program Chairman.
- Students from Hedgesville High School will be featured at October meetings.
- October 20th – Pending
- October 27th – Rotary Exchange Student Wiktoria Warzycka
- Students from Musselman High School will be featured at November meetings.
- November 3 – Pending
- November 10th – Mary J.C. Hendricks, Shepherd University President
- Students from Martinsburg High School will be featured at January meetings (no students in December)
COGWHEELS – PROGRAM & HIGHLIGHTS FROM LAST NOON MEETING
- Greeters: Jim Klein
- Birthdays: Kevin Starlipper, Gail Moxley, Darrell Shull
- Guests/visitors (guest of): Cassandra White (Sandy Hamilton), Anita Cooper (Walt Ridenour),
- 50/50: Tickets sold by Vickie Elliot. Winner was Larry Pitzer. Normal payout/no jackpot was drawn. Seller for upcoming meeting – Larry Pitzer.
- Program: Very engaging talk by District Governor, Dick Drukker.
Amanda Brown/Hedgesville HS Counselor. Students: Noelle Otto, Nicholas Miller
Brian Jolliff/President, Dick Drukker/District Governor, Pam Wagner/Asst District Governor, Mike Hornby/District Governor Elect
COGWHEELS – NEWS & UPDATES FROM LAST MEETING
WRNR-Rotary Foundation Drive is in full swing. Innovative project raises money by allowing people and businesses to sponsor PSAs on WRNR for charities and non-profits. More people/businesses are needed to sponsor PSAs plus some Rotarians who would like to record some of the PSAs. 100% of proceeds go to our LOCAL Rotary Foundation. See Brian Jolliff or Mike Hornby for required form shown
Medicine Bottles for Africa – Please bring snack sized zip lock bags to next meeting (thru October 13th). See Marilyn Schoon or Bill Wortley.
URGENT – TASTE OF THE PANHANDLE: Needed now! More auction items, sponsorships, gift cards! Event is January 14th. Contact Marilyn Schoon. See attachment.
Our exchange student, Wiktoria Warzycka, is here! She is Polish, but her family currently lives in Denmark and she is currently staying with the Bartoldsons. If you may be interested in including Wiktoria in an outing or being a 2nd semester host (need not be a Rotarian), please see Elaine or Craig Bartoldson now. Please!!
LAST CALL – Women of Distinction Luncheon at Holiday Inn – October 12 at 1130 am honoring Vicki Elliot. Tickets (benefitting Girl Scouts) are $100 per person. Tickets available at local Girl Scouts office, or at up coming meeting from various Rotarians.
DEADLINE IS OCTOBER 16, for those wishing to apply for an Eastern WV Community Foundation Mini-grant for teachers (Michael Whalton, Executive Director). For more info or an application > http://www.ewvcf.org/2016-mi
- Bob Elmer Rotary Sports Breakfast is October 22 (830 am) at Holiday Inn. Athletes from each local high school will be recognized. Athletes of Honor are young men and women who participate in various sports.. Tickets are $15 and are available NOW at Depot Florist, Dana’s Tuxedo and at next meeting. Sports celebrity is Mike Gansey, basketball great, More sponsors needed – see Mike Hite, Doug Frye or Kevin Knowles.
- BE THERE!! Give Polio the Finger Rally – Sunday, October 23rd (2 pm) at Poor House Farm. We will form a huge Rotary wheel for some great aerial photos. If you have a purple shirt (or a Rotary polio shirt) you may want to wear it (not required). All clubs (including Interact) in the 3 EP counties are invited. Please email pix to Bill Yearout for the Grapevine.
- WV CASA Association, 17th Annual Conference is coming up October 28, 2016 at the Holiday Inn, Martinsburg. Who should attend – all persons who work in the field of abuse and neglect, including: CASA Volunteers, staff and board members, domestic violence victim advocates, social workers, nurses, attorneys, law enforcement officers, probation and parole officers, teachers, clergy, counselors, psychologists, and victim advocates. See attachment.
- Deadline approaching for tax credits! CCAP/Loaves & Fishes has been awarded $50,000 in tax credits by the WV Development Office for 2016 which means that 2016 donors can receive tax credits of $0.50 per $1 contributed (minimum contribution of $500). Tax credits are limited to first $100,000 in total contributions received by CCAP. This is one of the highest NIP awards of tax credits this year to any organization in the state. See Doug Frye for more info.
- DISTRICT FOUNDATION DINNER coming up November 19 in Altoona, PA (at The Casino). Deadline for registering is November 12. Tickets are just $10; to make things even better, each ticket you buy (except for first ticket) is credited to you and our club’s Foundation goal. Cash awards at dinner range from $100 – $500. See Pam Wagner.
- EXCEPTIONAL OPPORTUNITY! Summer Short Term Exchange – being a host family. Contact Craig Bartoldson. See attachments
OTHER PROJECTS –
- More greeters needed – great fun! See Sandy Hamilton.
- Boys and Girls Club Open House on October 12 (6 – 8 pm) – click here for info
- Rotary Chili Cookoff – rescheduled for October 15th – see Brian Jolliff
- Hospice Purse Auction on October 19 or 20th – see Maria Lorensen
- Panhandle Home Health Gala on October 29 – see Chris Johnson
- Keep the Faith 5K on November 12 – see Vickie Elliot
- Santa Breakfast on December 10th. More info coming. See Penny Porter for volunteer info or tickets now.
- Salvation Army: Watch this space for info on 2 important projects – the Bell Ringers, and Gifts for Angels.
- See you at Rotary International Convention, June, 2017 in Atlanta (go to Rotary Resource Center below)
- See you at Rotary International Convention, June, 2018 in Toronto (go to Rotary Resource Center below)
YOUR ROTARY RESOURCE CENTER > For all members and officers
LOCAL FACEBOOK PAGE: https://www.facebook.com
LOCAL WEBSITE: http://www.martinsbur