November 28, 2016 Grapevine
RECAP OF LAST NOON MEETING (see news section below)
Greeter – Robin Zanotti
Guests (hosts) – Anita Cooper (Walt Ridenour), Brady Klein (Jim Klein), Lauree Lorensen (Maria Lorensen), Delois Shaw (Dawn Brown), Mitch Shaw (Dawn Brown)
50/50 Tickets – Sold by Sandy Hamilton. Winner – Larry Pitzer. Normal payout/no jackpot was drawn. Seller for upcoming meeting – Larry Pitzer.
Birthdays celebrated – Gary Manley, Layne Diehl, Steve Redding.
Program – Mike Hite, Rotary Foundation (photo at bottom). Special bonus – Pete Mulford, who experienced polio as a child, provided some real insights about polio and the role Rotary continues to play.
UPCOMING NOON MEETINGS – ROTARY CLUB OF MARTINSBURG
This Thursday, December 1st at Holiday Inn, Martinsburg. Program – MHS Good Times Show Choir. Bring money as the choir will have their apple dumplings for sale!
- Christmas Angels Deadline – Please pick up your gift list NOW (Maria Lorensen, others) and start shopping. Do NOT wrap gifts; each gift must have your CODE NUMBER attached to it to insure delivery to your angel. Turn in your gifts at next meeting but no later than Thursday, December 8th!
- Future noon meetings: Thursday, December 8th – annual meeting and elections. Students from Martinsburg High School will be featured at January meetings (no students in December). If you have program suggestions, please see Amanda Vance Giangola, Program Chairman > [email protected]
- Holiday/Christmas Dinner is Thursday, December 15th at Holiday Inn. There will no noon meeting on 12/15. Event is free for each Martinsburg Rotarian + one guest, but you must register in advance. Sign up sheets will be at next meeting. If you prefer to register by email, please email names, number of attendees (1 or 2) to [email protected] NO LATER THAN Noon/Friday, 12/9/16. Exact times for event available at meeting and in next Grapevine.
UPCOMING MARTINSBURG ROTARY EVENING MEETINGS (SATELLITE CLUB) –
Primary contact is Drew Bartoldson – [email protected]
- Thursday, December 1, 5:45 to 7 pm at The Hub. Program – Rotary Foundation, Mike Hite. All welcome. Bring a friend.
- Thursday, December 8, 5:45 to 7 pm at Phoenix Mill Cafe. All welcome. Bring a friend.
NEWS & UPDATES
Also see “Other Happenings” below.
- NEWSFLASH FROM BILL STOVER’S HUMORARIUM > Dancing cheek-to-cheek is really a form of floor play.
- More greeters needed! See Sandy Hamilton.
- ANNUAL ROTARY FOUNDATION DRIVE: Checks accepted at every meeting through June.
- Salvation Army Bell Ringers: Rotary members plus a nice bunch of Musselman HS Interact members will be ringing the Salvation Army bells in front of the Martinsburg Mall Wal-Mart on Saturday, Dec. 3rd from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Ed Arnett will be performing with his barborshop quartet in the morning.
- Boots on the Ground! Members from all area Rotary clubs will be working in the area of Lewisburg, WV, from November 28 to December 3, 2016 to refurbish three homes damaged in the flood. The group will work with Mennonite Disaster Services. Coordinated by Pam Wagoner.
- Santa Breakfast on December 10th. See Penny Porter about donations. Tickets are just $10 – available at meeting, Depot Florist, Patterson Drugs..
- SPECIAL WRNR-Rotary Foundation Drive is in full swing. Innovative project raises money by allowing people and businesses to sponsor PSAs on WRNR for charities and non-profits. More people/businesses are needed to sponsor PSAs plus some Rotarians who would like to record some of the PSAs. 100% of proceeds go to our LOCAL Rotary Foundation. See Brian Jolliff or Mike Hornby for required form shown below.
- URGENT – TASTE OF THE PANHANDLE: Still needed – more auction items, sponsorships, cash donations, gift cards! A few individaul tickets are available. Event is January 14th. Contact any committee member. See attachment.
- Host our exchange student for the 2nd semester! Wiktoria Warzycka is here! She is Polish, her family currently lives in Denmark and she is currently staying with the Bartoldsons. If able to include Wiktoria in an outing or being a second semester host (need not be a Rotarian), please see Elaine or Craig Bartoldson now!
- Exceptional opportunity! Be a host family for the Summer Short Term Exchange. Contact Craig Bartoldson. See attachment
OTHER HAPPENINGS –
- HOLIDAY OPEN HOUSE – YOU ARE INVITED! Thursday, December 1st (noon to 530 pm) at Shepherd University, Martinsburg Center.
- United Way activities > click here
- EP Community Foundation programs (including college scholarships) > click for info
- Deadline fast approaching for some special tax credits! CCAP/Loaves & Fishes has been awarded $50,000 in tax credits by the WV Development Office for 2016 which means that 2016 donors can receive tax credits of $0.50 per $1 contributed (minimum contribution of $500). Tax credits are limited to first $100,000 in total contributions received by CCAP. This is one of the highest NIP awards of tax credits this year to any organization in the state. See Doug Frye for more info.
- CASA is looking for table sponsors and table captains for the 20.20 Dinner at the Holiday Inn on November 30, 2016. Contact Craig Bartoldson for more information.
TWO IN A ROW! EASY DRIVE. PLAN NOW.
- 2017 Rotary International Convention, June in Atlanta. Go to Rotary Resource Center below.
- 2018 Rotary International Convention, June in Toronto. Go to Rotary Resource Center below.
Mike Hite speaking on polio and the Rotary Foundation