November 21, 2016 Grapevine
NEXT NOON MEETING – ROTARY CLUB OF MARTINSBURG
- When – This WEDNESDAY, November 23rd at noon. Special desserts. Guest lunches are FREE for prospective members.
- Where – Holiday Inn, Martinsburg.
- Wish them Happy Birthday! Gary Manley, Layne Diehl, Steve Redding (11/20 to 11/26)
- Program – The Rotary Foundation, Mike Hite.
- Christmas Angels Deadline – Please pick up your gift list NOW (Maria Lorensen, others) and start shopping. Do NOT wrap gifts; each gift must have your CODE NUMBER attached to it to insure delivery to your angel. Turn in your gifts at next meeting but no later than Thursday, December 9th!
- UPCOMING MARTINSBURG ROTARY EVENING MEETINGS (SATELLITE CLUB) –
Primary contact is Drew Bartoldson – [email protected]
- This week – no meeting. Happy Thanksgiving!
- Thursday, December 1, 5:45 to 7 pm at The Hub. Program – Rotary Foundation, Mike Hite. All welcome. Bring a friend.
- Thursday, December 8, 5:45 to 7 pm at Phoenix Mill Cafe. All welcome. Bring a friend.
FUTURE PROGRAMS FOR THURSDAY NOON MEETING –
If you have program suggestions, please see Amanda Vance Giangola, Program Chairman > [email protected]
- Thursday, December 1st – Martinsburg HS Good Times Show Choir (apple dumplings for sale)
- Thursday, December 8th – annual meeting and elections.
Note: Students from Martinsburg High School will be featured at January meetings (no students in December)
HIGHLIGHTS FROM LAST NOON MEETING
- Greeters: Allen Keyes
- Guests/visitors (guest of): Anita Cooper (Walt Ridenour),Jimmy Brinkley, Katie Brinkley (Chris Johnson), Kelly Roach (Sandy Hamilton), Liam Redding (Berkeley Fire), Arissa Foreman (Brian Jolliff).
- 50/50: Tickets sold by Pam Wagoner. Winner was Sandy Hamilton. Normal payout/no jackpot was drawn. Seller for upcoming meeting – Sandy Hamilton.
- Excellent Program featuring Elizabeth Granzow, Berkeley County Fire Services (see photo below)
- Student Guests/Musselman HS –See photo below.
NEWS & UPDATES
Also see “Other Happenings” below.
- More greeters needed! Great fun. See Sandy Hamilton.
- ANNUAL ROTARY FOUNDATION DRIVE: Special program by Mike Hite on November 23rd. Checks accepted at every meeting through June.
- Salvation Army Bell Ringers: Rotary members plus a nice bunch of Musselman HS Interact members will be ringing the Salvation Army bells in front of the Martinsburg Mall Wal-Mart on Saturday, Dec. 3rd from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Ed Arnett will be performing with his barborshop quartet in the morning.
- Boots on the Ground! Members from all area Rotary clubs will be working in the area of Lewisburg, WV, from November 28 to December 3, 2016 to refurbish three homes damaged in the flood. The group will work with Mennonite Disaster Services. Coordinated by Pam Wagoner.
- Santa Breakfast on December 10th. See Penny Porter about donations. Tickets are just $10 – available at meeting, Depot Florist, Patterson Drugs..
- SPECIAL WRNR-Rotary Foundation Drive is in full swing. Innovative project raises money by allowing people and businesses to sponsor PSAs on WRNR for charities and non-profits. More people/businesses are needed to sponsor PSAs plus some Rotarians who would like to record some of the PSAs. 100% of proceeds go to our LOCAL Rotary Foundation. See Brian Jolliff or Mike Hornby for required form shown below.
- URGENT – TASTE OF THE PANHANDLE: Needed now – more auction items, sponsorships, cash donations, gift cards! A few individaul tickets are available. Event is January 14th. Contact any committee member. See attachment.
- Host our exchange student for the 2nd semester! Wiktoria Warzycka, is here! She is Polish, her family currently lives in Denmark and she is currently staying with the Bartoldsons. If able to include Wiktoria in an outing or being a second semester host (need not be a Rotarian), please see Elaine or Craig Bartoldson now!
- Exceptional opportunity! Be a host family for the Summer Short Term Exchange. Contact Craig Bartoldson. See attachment
OTHER HAPPENINGS –
- HOLIDAY OPEN HOUSE – YOU ARE INVITED! Thursday, December 1st (noon to 530 pm) at Shepherd University, Martinsburg Center.
- United Way activities > click here
- EP Community Foundation programs (including college scholarships) > click for info
- Deadline fast approaching for some special tax credits! CCAP/Loaves & Fishes has been awarded $50,000 in tax credits by the WV Development Office for 2016 which means that 2016 donors can receive tax credits of $0.50 per $1 contributed (minimum contribution of $500). Tax credits are limited to first $100,000 in total contributions received by CCAP. This is one of the highest NIP awards of tax credits this year to any organization in the state. See Doug Frye for more info.
- CASA is looking for table sponsors and table captains for the 20.20 Dinner at the Holiday Inn on November 30, 2016. Contact Craig Bartoldson for more information.
Planning for the Rotary International Convention, (June, 2017) in Atlanta? Go to Rotary Resource Center below.
FYI: The 2018 Rotary International Convention is in June, 2018 in Toronto (go to Rotary Resource Center below)
Student guests from Musselman HS
Guest speaker, Elizabeth Granzow, Berkeley County Fire Services
YOUR ROTARY RESOURCE CENTER > Login for members and officers
LOCAL FACEBOOK PAGE: https://www.facebook.com