November 14, 2016 Grapevine
NEWSFLASH FROM BILL STOVER’S HUMORARIUM > A bicycle can’t stand on its own because it is two tired.
NEXT NOON MEETING – ROTARY CLUB OF MARTINSBURG
When – This Thursday, November 17th at noon
Where – Holiday Inn, Martinsburg
Program – Elizabeth Granzow, Berkeley County Fire Services
Featured students – Musselman High School.
UPCOMING MARTINSBURG ROTARY EVENING (SATELLITE) MEETINGS –
Primary contact is Drew Bartoldson – [email protected]
- Thursday, Nov 17th, 5:45 pm at The Hub. Bring a friend. Special program – Landon Dunham.
FUTURE PROGRAMS FOR THURSDAY NOON MEETING –
If you have program suggestions, please see Amanda Vance Giangola, Program Chairman > [email protected]
- Wednesday,November 23rd, Rotary Foundation, Mike Hite (Happy Thanksgiving)
- Thursday, December 1st – Martinsburg HS Good Times Show Choir (apple dumplings for sale)
Thursday, December 8th – annual meeting and elections.
- Students from Musselman High School will be featured at November meetings;
Students from Martinsburg High School will be featured at January meetings (no students in December)
COGWHEELS – HIGHLIGHTS FROM LAST NOON MEETING
- Greeters: Bill Wortley
- Birthdays: Pete Dufourny, Ross Curtis.
- Guests/visitors (guest of): Anita Cooper (Walt Ridenour), Tim Czaja (Kevin Knowles), Karen Rice (John Miller), Scott Roach (Michael Whalton), Neil Doran (Maria Lorensen).
- 50/50: Tickets sold by Maria Lorensen. Winner was Pam Wagoner. Normal payout/no jackpot was drawn. Seller for upcoming meeting – Pam Wagoner.
- Excellent Program featuring Mary J.C. Hendricks, Shepherd University President
- Student Guest – Cassie Greenfield, Musselman HS
Chad Spencer, advisor; Cassie Greenfield, Bill Bowen, introduction.
COGWHEELS – NEWS & UPDATES
Also see “Other Happenings” below.
- More greeters needed! Great fun. See Sandy Hamilton.
- NOVEMBER MEMBERSHIP DRIVE: This means FREE LUNCH for your prospective member guests (and dessert for everyone) during November. For accounting purposes, be sure to advise treasurer Pete upon your arrival at meeting.
- YOU ARE INVITED to help celebrate the awarding of mini-grants to local teachers from the Eastern WV Community Foundation. Thursday, November 17th, 530 pm to 7 pm at the Holiday Inn. Light hors d’oeuvres and refreshemnts served. RSVP > [email protected]
- ANNUAL ROTARY FOUNDATION DRIVE: Special program by Mike Hite on November 23rd. Checks accepted at every meeting through June
- Salvation Army Bell Ringers: Rotary members plus a nice bunch of Musselman HS Interact members will be ringing the Salvation Army bells in front of the Martinsburg Mall Wal-Mart on Saturday, Dec. 3rd from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Each shift requires 2 people and is for one or 2 hours. Still need a couple of ringers for the late shift. Please contact Maria Lorensen now!
- Boots on the Ground! Members from all area Rotary clubs are invited to travel to Lewisburg, WV, from November 28 to December 3, 2016, to refurbish three homes damaged in the flood. The group will work with Mennonite Disaster Services. See Pam Wagoner.
- Santa Breakfast on December 10th. See Penny Porter about donations. Tickets avalable at meeting, Depot Florist, Patterson Drugs..
- SPECIAL WRNR-Rotary Foundation Drive is in full swing. Innovative project raises money by allowing people and businesses to sponsor PSAs on WRNR for charities and non-profits. More people/businesses are needed to sponsor PSAs plus some Rotarians who would like to record some of the PSAs. 100% of proceeds go to our LOCAL Rotary Foundation. See Brian Jolliff or Mike Hornby for required form shown below.
- URGENT – TASTE OF THE PANHANDLE: Needed now – more auction items, sponsorships, cash donations, gift cards! A few individaul tickets are available. Event is January 14th. Contact any committee member. See attachment.
- Our exchange student, Wiktoria Warzycka, is here! She is Polish, her family currently lives in Denmark and she is currently staying with the Bartoldsons. If able to include Wiktoria in an outing or being a second semester host (need not be a Rotarian), please see Elaine or Craig Bartoldson now!
- EXCEPTIONAL OPPORTUNITY! Summer Short Term Exchange – being a host family. Contact Craig Bartoldson. See attachment.
OTHER HAPPENINGS –
- Hospice Gift Card Raffle – Drawing is Nov 17th! Win huge gift card prizes ($1500, $500, $250). Tickets – $5 each or 5 for $20. See Maria Lorenson or Ed Arnett.
- November 18th – Chris Johnson will be honored at the Tri-State Distinguished Volunteer luncheon in Winchester. Last call for tickets – see Brian Jolliff or Maria Lorensen.
- United Way activities > click here
- EP Community Foundation (including college scholarships) > click for info
- CASA is looking for table sponsors and table captains for the 20.20 Dinner at the Holiday Inn on November 30, 2016. Contact Craig Bartoldson for more information.
- HOLIDAY OPEN HOUSE – YOU ARE INVITED! Thursday, December 1st (noon to 530 pm) at Shepherd University, Martinsburg Center.
- Deadline approaching for your tax credits! CCAP/Loaves & Fishes has been awarded $50,000 in tax credits by the WV Development Office for 2016 which means that 2016 donors can receive tax credits of $0.50 per $1 contributed (minimum contribution of $500). Tax credits are limited to first $100,000 in total contributions received by CCAP. This is one of the highest NIP awards of tax credits this year to any organization in the state. See Doug Frye for more info.
- Want to attend the Rotary International Convention, June, 2017 in Atlanta? Go to Rotary Resource Center below.
- The 2018 Rotary International Convention is in June, 2018 in Toronto (go to Rotary Resource Center below)