May 22, 2017 Grapevine
This week’s Grapevine includes numerous timely items, including this great video > Salt Lake Rotary and Refugees
For more great wisdom, come to Rotary this Thursday!
Congrats to Jim Carpenter! Jim just won the Silver Division of the WV Senior Open held last week at The Pines in Morgantown. Having won the senior/amateur division of every major golf tournament in WV, it is very likely that the best senior amateur golfer in West Virginia is a member of our club.
HIGHLIGHTS: Thursday, May 11th Picnic at Poor House Farm
(no noon or satellite meeting)
Photos taken at picnic in the air conditioned comfort of The Barn at Poor House Farm. Special thanks to Pete Mulford, Buzz Poland and Manual Washington for organizing this very nice event,. The food and beverages were outstanding and plentiful. The hospitality was over the top!
Standing club business –
- REALLY BIG DEAL! June 2, Friday Rotary Foundation Dinner at HI. Get tickets now!! See details in Rotary announcements below.
ABOUT UPCOMING NOON MEETINGS –
- Thursday, May 25th (noon at Holiday Inn). Main program – Cynthia Pyles with Staggers Recovery home for females.
- Thursday, June 1 (noon at Purple Iris). Main program – special presentation by our exchange student, Wiki Warzycka
- Thursday, June 8th (noon at Holiday Inn). Main program – pending.
- Thursday, June 15th (noon at Holiday Inn). Main program – Circuit Judge Catie Wilkes Delligatti.
- Thursday, June 22nd, noon meeting is replaced with evening event – installation dinner at Holiday Inn.
ABOUT UPCOMING EVENING/SATELLITE
Usual time: Thursday, 6pm. Usual location: The Hub. See below.
Our meeting this Thursday May 25 is at War Memorial Park at 5:45 pm.
We will be doing a dry run for the “Pancakes for Polio Breakfast”
Club liason – Maria Lorensen.
Grapevine liason – Tiffany Arnett.
Primary contact – Tamilyn Clark
Satellite Facebook Page
MARTINSBURG ROTARY – NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
Also see “Community Announcements” below.
- May 29, Monday, Memorial Day – Rotary’s FREE ‘Pancakes for Polio Breakfast’ – 8 am to 11 am. Our Satellite Club has taken over this ‘free’ event, and is asking for volunteers from our club to help. Set up is 6 am, but help is needed throughout the morning. If you’d like to help, please email BUZZ POLAND with your name, phone, times you can work, and preferred job.
Volunteering or not – bring the whole family to War Memorial Park and enjoy a delicious, ‘free’ pancake breakfast with sausage, biscuits, sausage gravy and more. Proceeds benefit Rotary International’s mission to eradicate polio worldwide. What a great way to honor those who have served our country.
- REALLY BIG DEAL! June 2, Friday Rotary Foundation Dinner at HI. Speaker announced – Jeff Goell (RI Polio Project). Elegant event, excellent speakers, silent auction (items needed), special recognition for Paul Harris Felllows, major donors, and Governor-Elect Mike Hornby. .A portion of your ticket price counts toward your foundation/Paul Harris contribution and are available now from Brian Jolliff, Mike Hite and Mike Hornsby ($50 pp).
- SPECIAL WRNR-Rotary Foundation Drive is also in full swing. This innovative project raises money by allowing people and businesses to sponsor PSAs on WRNR for charities and non-profits. More people/businesses are needed to sponsor PSAs plus some Rotarians who would like to record some of the PSAs. 100% of proceeds go to our LOCAL Rotary Foundation. See/email Brian Jolliff or Mike Hornby for required form shown below.
- JULY 12TH (WEDNESDAY/THE WOODS) – ROTARY SERVICE SCHOLARSHIP GOLF TOURNAMENT!
See/email Allen Kees (or call him at 304-262-4960) for more information.
MORE GOLF TOURNAMENTS FOR GREAT CAUSES – See community announcements below.
ABOUT COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS: Although the Rotary announcements (above) are the Grapevine’s top priority, I have established this special section to showcase community announcements that seem most actionable and relevant to Rotary.
- Please understand that reliance on verbal community announcements at meetings is problematic, and time constraints rarely permit me to run down missing or unclear info during the community announcement segment of our meeting, or after the meeting. Therefore, if you want your community announcement in the Grapevine, please provide me with the following (in writing much preferred) at our Thursday meeting, or email it to me before noon the next day > Sponsoring organization(s), event or project name, dates/times, location,cause, beneficiaries, costs/needs, actions needed/requested, graphic or flyer, contact name/phone/email, and link to website, if applicable.
- If your announcement was not included, it is likely that I did not receive all essential info at our Thursday meeting, or via email by our deadline (noon Friday). All community announcements to be published for a business or non-charitable purpose or organization should be cleared with the President.
Thanks for your cooperation! Bill Yearout > grapevinemartinsburg@gmail.
- May 26th at noon, openhouse/lunch at Groves Cleaning Service to celebrate 50 year anniversary. Please bring a can of food for CCAP.
- June 10th, Saturday (8 am – 1 pm), Berkeley Senior Services – Giant Bazaar!
- Monday, June 19, Golf Scramble at The Woods, sponsored by Tri-County Pastoral Counsel. See Jim Carpenter for more details.
- Friday, June 23 – Shenandoah Women’s Center Golf Tournament, More details/registration, CLICK HERE
- Link to upcoming United Way activities
- Link to Chamber’s Calendar of Events
- Link to Mainstreet Martinsburg Events
TWO HISTORIC EVENTS THAT YOU JUST CANNOT MISS!
As you may know, Rotary International Conventions are fun, life-changing events and most are overseas – which creates a major barrier for many club members. But in 2017 and 2018, local Rotarians will benefit from some historically fortunate scheduling. Both of these conventions will be held in exciting locations that are driveable from Martinsburg – or you can fly or take Amtrak.
MAY BE BOOKED UP! 2017 Rotary International Convention, June 10 – 14 in Atlanta.
Online info and registration | More on Facebook
2018 Rotary International Convention, June 24 – 27 in Toronto. Official online info
LINKS TO ROTARY RESOURCES
Rotary Club Of Martinsburg
MEMBER RESOURCE CENTER (DACdb) > Login
|President: Brian Jolliff||304 676-9940/w | 304 229-2151/h|
|President-Elect: Mike Hite||304 267-7400/w|
|Vice Pres: Amanda Giangola||304 229-6525/w|
|Secretary: Doug Arndt||304 263-6906/w | 304 263-6207/h|
|Treasurer: Pete Dufourny||304 263-2170/h|
|Sgt at Arms: Ross Curtis|
|Ass’t Governor: Pam Wagoner||304 263-1488/w | 304 260-9406/h|
|Governor Elect: Mike Hornby||304 851-7451/w | 304 579-8510/h|
EVENING (SATELLITE) GROUP
Satellite Facebook Page
Club Liaison – Maria Lorensen
Primary contact – Tamilyn Clark
Satellite Grapevine contact – Tiffany Arnett
ROTARACT CLUBS – Berniece Collis, Coordinator
Blue Ridge: Club Liaison – Maria Lorensen. President – Eileen Kusnirak.
James Rumsey: Club Liason – Vicki Jenkins. President – Shirley Mahoney.
HIGH SCHOOL INTERACT CLUBS – Berniece Collis, Coordinator
Hedgesville: Club Liaison – Vickie Elliott. Advisors – Brad Sensel, Tim Belotte.
Musselman: Club Liaison – Bill Bowen. Advisor – Chad Spencer.
Spring Mills: Club Liaison – Tina Combs. Advisor – Scott Barner
Faith Christian: Club Liason – Pam Curtis, Marilyn Schoon. Advisor – Jen Stanley
Martinsburg: Sponsored by Sunrise Rotary Club
OUR 2016-2017 INBOUND EXCHANGE STUDENT
Wiktoria (Wiki) Warzycka at Martinsburg HS. From Poland/Denmark
OUR 2017-2018 INBOUND EXCHANGE STUDENT
Gloria Figueredo Flores from Paraguay.
Want to be a host family for part of next year?
Please contact Doug Frye or Craig Bartoldson – pronto!
OUR 2017-2018 OUTBOUND EXCHANGE STUDENT
Ben Merzouk (Hedgesville HS) – to Argentina
OUR 2017 OUTBOUND SUMMER EXCHANGE STUDENT
Jemma Piasecki (Martinsburg HS) – to Germany.
OUR CLUB ON FACEBOOK
OUR CLUB’S WEBSITE
FOUR WAY TEST
Of the things we think, say or do –
Is it the truth?
Is it fair to all concerned?
Will it build goodwill and better friendships?
Will it be beneficial to all concerned?
I hope this edition of The Grapevine helped get your week off to a fine start.
We look forward to seeing you this Thursday at Rotary.
Bill Yearout , Grapevine Editor
Grapevine email > grapevinemartinsburg@gmail.