June 12, 2017 Grapevine
This week’s Grapevine includes numerous timely items, including this great video > Salt Lake Rotary and Refugees
Bill Stover’s Weekly Wisdom: OK, so what’s the speed of dark?
For more great wisdom, come to Rotary this Thursday!
HIGHLIGHTS: LAST NOON MEETING (June 8th)
Greeter: Lori Taylor
50/50: Pam Curtis sold tickets. Ross Curtis won the ticket drawing but did not draw the winning card. Bill Wortley will sell tickets next week.
Happy Birthday – click to hear your song! Amanda Giangola, Ramadas Kamath, John Overington.
Club anniversaries – Ross Curtis (15), Brian Jolliff (6), Leota Shillingburg (1).
Wedding anniversaries – none we are talking about
Guests (hosts): Anita Cooper (Walt Ridenour). So good to see Walt feeling better!
Golden Moments: Priceless smiles are now on sale for $1 each. Share yours at our next meeting!
Club business –
- More greeters needed! It’s good, clean fun. Contact Sandy Hamilton
- Please wear your name tag at each meeting. It’s friendly and helpful.
Special highlights of this meeting –
Main program – Matt Harvey, Jefferson County Prosecutor. Very interesting discussion about joint efforts in the EP regarding the herion and opioid epidemic.
MEETING NOTICE FOR NOON CLUB –
- Thursday, June 15th (noon at Holiday Inn). Main program – Berkeley County Prosecutor Catie Wilkes Delligatti.
- Thursday, June 22nd – no noon meeting. All are invited to attend Rotary Installation Dinner at Holiday Inn. For details, see announcement below.
- Thursday, June 29th – pending. New program chairman takes over.
MEETING INFO FOR EVENING/SATELLITE CLUB –
Usual time/location: Thursday, 5:45 pm at The Hub. See below for exceptions and specifics.
|Club liaison –||Maria Lorensen.|
|President –||Tamilyn Clark|
Satellite Facebook Page
Program from June 8th meeting: Marie Keegin on South Africa.
- Thursday, 545 pm on June 15th at The Hub. Special program by Martinsburg Police Chief Maury Richards.
- Thursday, June 22nd – no meeting. All are invited to attend Rotary Installation Dinner at Holiday Inn. For details, see announcement below.
- Thursday, 545 pm on June 29th at The Hub. Special program by Elaine Bartoldson on Wiktoria Warzycka’s Youth Exchange experience.
MARTINSBURG ROTARY – NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
Also see “Community Announcements” below.
Our Rotary family grieves the loss of Sirawich “Jo” Chantaburanan, who lost his life this past week while coming to the aid of a friend. ‘Jo’ spent this year as an exchange student in State College, PA. Our own club’s exchange student (Wiki) had become friends with ‘Jo’ at some of the regional meet ups. That is Jo (next to Wiki). These are such fine kids. So sorry Jo’s family and these kids are in such pain. Obituary
- Annual installation Dinner on Thursday, June 22nd at Holiday Inn. Replaces regular Thursday meetings. No charge for member and spouse. Hope to see you there! Please RSVP at earliest convenience to via this email link to > AMANDA VANCE GIANGOLA
- District Governor Installation Ceremony, Saturday, morning (1130 am – 2 pm) June 24th, 2017 at the Hilton Garden Inn. The Rotary Club of Martinsburg cordially invites you to attend the installation of Michael Hornby as the 2017-2018 Governor of Rotary District 7360. You may register online HERE. Non-rotarians or those that don’t have access to DACDB can register online HERE .
- JULY 12TH (WEDNESDAY/THE WOODS) – ROTARY SERVICE SCHOLARSHIP GOLF TOURNAMENT! See/email Allen Kees (or call him at 304-262-4960) for more information.
MORE GOLF TOURNAMENTS FOR GREAT CAUSES – See community announcements below.
- Monday, June 19, Golf Scramble at The Woods, sponsored by Tri-County Pastoral Counsel. See Jim Carpenter for more details.
- Friday, June 23 – Shenandoah Women’s Center Golf Tournament, More details/registration, CLICK HERE!
TWO HISTORIC EVENTS THAT YOU JUST CANNOT MISS!
As you may know, Rotary International Conventions are fun, life-changing events and most are overseas – which creates a major barrier for many club members. But in 2017 and 2018, local Rotarians will benefit from some historically fortunate scheduling. Both of these conventions will be held in exciting locations that are driveable from Martinsburg – or you can fly or take Amtrak.
Several in our club are attending the 2017 Rotary International Convention, June 10 – 14 in Atlanta. A future GV will include coverage of this event.
2018 Rotary International Convention, June 24 – 27 in Toronto. Official online info
LINKS TO ROTARY RESOURCES
Rotary Club Of Martinsburg
MEMBER RESOURCE CENTER (DACdb) > Login
|President: Brian Jolliff||304 676-9940/w | 304 229-2151/h|
|President-Elect: Mike Hite||304 267-7400/w|
|Vice Pres: Amanda Giangola||304 229-6525/w|
|Secretary: Doug Arndt||304 263-6906/w | 304 263-6207/h|
|Treasurer: Pete Dufourny||304 263-2170/h|
|Sgt at Arms: Ross Curtis||304 754-5560/w|
|Ass’t Governor: Pam Wagoner||304 263-1488/w | 304 260-9406/h|
|Governor Elect: Mike Hornby||304 851-7451/w | 304 579-8510/h|
EVENING (SATELLITE) GROUP
Satellite Facebook Page
Club Liaison – Maria Lorensen
President – Tamilyn Clark
ROTARACT CLUBS – Berniece Collis, Coordinator
Blue Ridge: Club Liaison – Maria Lorensen. President – Eileen Kusnirak.
James Rumsey: Club Liason – Vicki Jenkins. President – Shirley Mahoney.
HIGH SCHOOL INTERACT CLUBS – Berniece Collis, Coordinator
Hedgesville: Club Liaison – Vickie Elliott. Advisors – Brad Sensel, Tim Belotte.
Musselman: Club Liaison – Bill Bowen. Advisor – Chad Spencer.
Spring Mills: Club Liaison – Tina Combs. Advisor – Scott Barner
Faith Christian: Club Liason – Pam Curtis, Marilyn Schoon. Advisor – Jen Stanley
Martinsburg: Sponsored by Sunrise Rotary Club
OUR 2016-2017 INBOUND EXCHANGE STUDENT
Wiktoria (Wiki) Warzycka at Martinsburg HS. From Poland/Denmark
OUR 2017-2018 INBOUND EXCHANGE STUDENT
Gloria Figueredo Flores from Paraguay.
OUR 2017-2018 OUTBOUND EXCHANGE STUDENT
Ben Merzouk (Hedgesville HS) – to Argentina
OUR 2017 OUTBOUND SUMMER EXCHANGE STUDENT
Jemma Piasecki (Martinsburg HS) – to Germany.
OUR CLUB ON FACEBOOK
Your likes, posts and comments greatly appreciated
OUR CLUB’S WEBSITE
Also includes archived editions of The Grapevine.
FOUR WAY TEST
Of the things we think, say or do –
Is it the truth?
Is it fair to all concerned?
Will it build goodwill and better friendships?
Will it be beneficial to all concerned?
I hope this edition of The Grapevine helped get your week off to a fine start.
We look forward to seeing you this Thursday at Rotary.
Bill Yearout , Grapevine Editor
Grapevine email > grapevinemartinsburg@gmail.