January 2, 2017 Grapevine
RECAP OF LAST NOON MEETING (Dec 29)
also see Rotary and Community announcements below)
Greeter: Mike Hornby
Guests (hosts): Anita Cooper (Walt Ridenour), Steve Truax (Pete Mulford)
50/50: Mike Hornby sold tickets. Mike Hornby also won the ticket drawing but not the winning card. Mike Hornby will sell at next meeting.
Birthdays celebrated: Tim Merceruio, Lacy Rice
Program: Annual top news stories, The Journal. Top story – drug epidemic > click here
We also said goodbye to Journal editor, David Emke whose last day was 12/31/16
UPCOMING & URGENT – NOON & EVENING MEMBERS
- Taste of the Panhandle, January 14th- and some tickets are still available ($85 per person). This is our signature event, it’s lots of fun and we need strong Rotary participation and a sell-out! Auction items still needed (re-gifted Christmas presents, gift certificates for prize tree, cash and item donations) – contact Leslie Crabill at [email protected] or Kresha Hornby at [email protected]. So, use your credit or debit card, and buy your tickets online NOW (click here) or at our noon meeting this Thursday.
- Upcoming noon meetings: Each program in January will focus on local vocations and businesses. Students from Martinsburg High School will also be featured at our January meetings.Thursday, January 5th will feature a presentation by Black Draft Brewery. Thursday, January 12th will feature a presentation by Geezer Ridge Beekeepers. Thursday, January 19th will feature a presentation by Depot Florist. Thursday, January 26th will feature a presentation by the Museum of the Shenandoah Valley (Sarah Perks). If you have suggestions for future programs, please see Amanda Vance Giangola, Program Chairman > [email protected]
- Upcoming evening (Satellite) meetings: Thursday, January 5th, 5:45 to 7 pm at The Hub. All welcome. Bring a friend. We need at least one Rotarian at each evening meeting to convey happenings from the day’s noon meeting to the evening group. Please check your calendar and let Maria Lorensen know what date(s) you are able to go. Thank you.
ROTARY NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
Also see “Community Announcements” below.
- NEWSFLASH FROM BILL STOVER’S HUMORARIUM > With her marriage, she got a new name and a dress.
- More greeters needed! See Sandy Hamilton.
- Annual Rotary Foundation Drive underway! Checks accepted at every meeting through June.
- SPECIAL WRNR-Rotary Foundation Drive is in full swing. Innovative project raises money by allowing people and businesses to sponsor PSAs on WRNR for charities and non-profits. More people/businesses are needed to sponsor PSAs plus some Rotarians who would like to record some of the PSAs. 100% of proceeds go to our LOCAL Rotary Foundation. See Brian Jolliff or Mike Hornby for required form shown below.
COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS AT MEETING
- EP Community Foundation programs (including college scholarships) > click for info
TWO HISTORIC EVENTS THAT YOU JUST CANNOT MISS!
As you may know, Rotary International Conventions are fun, life-changing events and most are overseas – which creates a major barrier for many club members. But in 2017 and 2018, local Rotarians will benefit from some historically fortunate scheduling. Both of these conventions will be held in exciting locations that are driveable from Martinsburg – or you can fly or take Amtrak.
BOOKING UP! 2017 Rotary International Convention, June 10 – 14 in Atlanta.
Online info and registration | More on Facebook
2018 Rotary International Convention, June 24 – 27 in Toronto.
Official online info
YOUR ROTARY RESOURCE CENTER >
LOCAL FACEBOOK PAGE:
Please send Grapevine submissions to: [email protected]