Grapevine – September 9, 2021
Greeter – Tracy filled in as the Greeter again this week and led us in the Pledge of Allegiance & Four-Way Test. Sharon led the invocation.
Guests – Diane Smith (guest of Steve Truax), Laura Beauchamp (guest of Marilyn Schoon), Robby Blair, new Director of Mainstreet Martinsburg (guest of Michelle Sadat)
- Shelter box initiative: right now, Rotary clubs are sending Shelter Boxes to Haiti. We set sponsoring one Shelter Box as a goal for this year, Pete is our Shelter Box point person.
- We are working a Wellness Screening at the Wellness Center on Sept 25th. Volunteers should plan to be there by 5:30 AM. We need more volunteers for this!
- We are cooking and serving at the Apple Harvest Pancake Breakfast on October 16th and 17th. We are looking for volunteers for that.
- The Rotary Foundation dinner is Sept. 25th starting at 4:30PM. “This is the last week to register and get your Foundation raffle tickets – I get enough each year to remain a Paul Harris Society member, and it gives me a chance to win something in the drawing.”
- Our student guest this week, Esther Stanley, was from Faith Christian Academy and was introduced by Jennifer Stanley. Esther gave an amazing presentation on some of the things she is passionate about. The first was Civil Air Patrol and then she went on to discuss her involvement in swimming and track. She is going to do great things!
- First Lady of Martinsburg and inventor are just 2 of many titles held by our speaker today, Dana Knowles. She spoke to us about how she took her product, The Hanging Shower Caddy, to market the licensing way. She shared with us her journey to get there and all of the “hard” lessons along the way. Today she is a role model and inspirational speaker. She is passionate about working with women who are trying to reinvent themselves. She says, “I believe that we can reinvent ourselves to be whatever we want to be” and that is exactly what she did. Dana is very open and honest with her past, sharing publicly that she is a recovering addict who was homeless and in an abusive relationship earlier in her life and is now a successful product developer and respectable businesswoman. You can learn more about Dana by viewing her website, www.danaknowlesinspires.com.
- You can also go to Amazon and search – Grand Fusions Housewares Hanging Shower Caddy.
- Sept 16 – Alzheimer’s Association
- Sept 23 – WV Secretary of State Mac Warner on Jennings Randolph and Voting
- Sept 30 – New & Old Member Bios (You won’t want to miss this!!!)
- Kevin Starliper sold tickets. Craig Martin had the winning ticket. He drew the King of Spades!!! He won the $$$$
- September 17th is the United Way Day of Caring. There are many non-profits requesting help with projects this day. Please consider volunteering your time.
- October 9th is the Walk to End Alzheimer’s, located at War Memorial Park. Registration from 8 AM – 9 AM, walk starts at 9:30. (Come walk with me!)
- October 13th will be the Girl Scouts Women of Distinction luncheon.
- October 23rd join Mainstreet Martinsburg as they have the first State Food Truck Festival – located right downtown!!! Also, FREE Parking ALL Day!
- We had a special 90th birthday song and cake for George Karos. Unfortunately, he was unable to attend at the last minute.
Shout out goes to…
Doug Arndt deserves some recognition… He is in one of those positions that is often taken for granted and underappreciated. Although he has been a member for 32 years and is a former President, he has been the Secretary for so long we have lost count…lol Well, I am sure he could tell us exactly how many years. Today he filled in for Treasurer as he has done many times. He assists every President during the transition and is at every board meeting and most regular meetings. He literally knows everything. Now I am sure that many of our fellow Rotarians have also volunteered and held positions, but he does this EVERY YEAR. No one wanted to volunteer for the Grapevine when Robin retired. I think Steve asked at 3 or more meetings before I volunteered. We can’t get volunteers for the upcoming 2023 + Programs Director/President. You don’t see me volunteering…it is a lot of work, I get it. All I am saying is we have one constant and that’s Doug, and I really appreciate that! Thanks for your service to our Club!!!