Grapevine – September 2, 2021
Greeter – The Greeter position was not filled so President Steve Truax led us in the Pledge of Allegiance, Four-Way Test, and invocation.
Guests – Diane Smith (guest of Steve Truax) & Laura Beauchamp (guest of Marilyn Schoon)
- Fellow Rotarian, Vickie Elliott is home from the hospital but still recovering. Due to her weakened immune system she is not receiving guests and will be absent from meetings until given the all clear. Please continue to pray for her and her family.
- In Vickie’s absence we are proceeding with the dictionary project and with scheduling our student guests. Next week we will resume having student guests, with Mrs. Stanley and her Faith Christian students.
- Shelter box initiative: right now, Rotary clubs are sending Shelter Boxes to Haiti. We set sponsoring one Shelter Box as a goal for this year, Pete is our Shelter Box point person.
- We are working a Wellness Screening at the Wellness Center on Sept 25th. Volunteers should plan to be there by 5:30 AM.
- We are cooking and serving at the Apple Harvest Pancake Breakfast on October 16th and 17th. We are looking for volunteers for that.
- The Rotary Foundation dinner is Sept. 25th starting at 4:30PM.
*** Chris Johnson has foundation raffle tickets to sell at the next two Rotary meetings. Every ticket after your first $10 goes to the Rotary Foundation in member’s name towards Paul Harris. To reserve tickets, call Chris at (304) 283-3536. Deadline for ticket sales is September 16th.
Volunteer, Jess Horn offered a presentation on the non-profit, Friends Fur Life Rescue. “Friends Fur Life Rescue (FFLR) has been rescuing thousands of animals since 2011. What started as a family just wanting to help animals in their community, has turned into thousands of volunteers working tirelessly around the Eastern Panhandle to provide shelter and a forever home for animals who were going through the worst times of their lives. Without a physical building, FFLR relies on the generosity of the fosters and volunteers to keep the rescue up and running. FFLR focuses on animals who may be seniors, malnourished, abused, neglected, abandoned, or have extensive health issues. As well as fostering and rescuing, FFLR participates in TNR to help protect feral cats.” To learn more about immediate needs go to the FFLR Facebook page or check out the website: https://www.friendsfurliferescue.com/
Volunteer, Dawn Brown offered a presentation on the non-profit Rescue Me WV – “Working Together, Saving Lives One Dog at a Time”. “They are a group of 100% community volunteers. There are always dogs needing us. To help them, we always need good homes to place them in. We provide everything (supplies, food, vet care). You provide a safe, loving environment until they are ready to be adopted. (Fosters always get the first chance to adopt) Fostering saves lives. Become a hero to a shelter dog in need today!” Dawn shared about their new location on the North end of Martinsburg next to Big Lots.
- Sept 7 – Board Meeting ***All welcome to attend***
- Sept 09 – Dana Schultz on developing and marketing a new commercial product
- Sept 16 – Alzheimer’s Association
- Sept 23 – WV Secretary of State Mac Warner on Jennings Randolph and Voting
- Sept 30 – New & Old Member Bios (You won’t want to miss this!!!)
- Penny Porter sold tickets. Kevin Starliper had the winning ticket. He did not draw the winning card and agreed to sell tickets next week.
- September 6th is the War Memorial Park Labor Day Breakfast from 7:30-10:30 AM.
- September 11th is the Pooch Plunge Pool Party to benefit Rescue Me WV at War Memorial. The event will run from 12-6PM.
- September 17th is the United Way Day of Caring. There are many non-profits requesting help with projects this day. Please consider volunteering your time.
- September 19th at 1 PM there will be a Cornhole Tournament to benefit Friends Fur Life Rescue at Antietam Brewery in Hagerstown.
- October 9th is the Walk to End Alzheimer’s, located at War Memorial Park. Registration from 8 AM – 9 AM, walk starts at 9:30. (Come walk with me!)
- October 15th will be the Girl Scouts Women of Distinction banquet.
- October 23rd join Mainstreet Martinsburg as they have the first State Food Truck Festival – located right downtown!!! Also, FREE Parking ALL Day! Member Anniversaries Start Date Total na
- Dana Orsini, District Governor, attended the meeting to personally present our club’s 100 Year Anniversary certificate to current President, Steve Truax and former President, Pam Wagoner.
***The COVID situation is being monitored and we may be taking social distancing precautions in the near future. (More tables = less people at each table)