Grapevine – October 28, 2020
Note about meeting venue: The Club will continue meeting in person at the Holiday Inn, along with an option to join virtually.
Last week: District Governor Dr. Irvin Wright joined us. He is Professor Emeritus at Bloomsburg University and is a major donor to the Rotary Foundation. He was introduced by our Assistant Governor David Gross from the Shepherdstown Club. His presentation encouraged a focus on membership and support for Polio Plus.
Governor Wright recognized:
Paul Harris awards:
- Berniece Collis PH+2
- Craig Collis PH+2
- Ernie Weidman
- Steve Roach
- Bill Bowen
Years of Service:
- John Miller – 50 years
- Buzz Poland – 47 years
- John Lucas – 46 years
- Rich McCune – 46 years
- Jim Siebert – 44 years
- Bill Stover – 44 years
This Week: We will have a brief Club Assembly and then a short presentation about Polio Plus.
October 29 – Club Assembly
November 5 – Mayor Harriet Johnson with City Manager Mark Baldwin, City of Martinsburg
November 12 – Darrell Shull, Berkeley County Elections Coordination
November 19 – Herb Smith, District Communications and Rotary PR update
November 26 – No meeting…Thanksgiving Holiday Greeter – Buzz was the greeter and led us in the Pledge of Allegiance, invocation and 4-Way Test. Recognition We welcomed our newest member, Robert L. Sowell, Jr., who transferred from the Fairfax Club. Birthdays Manuel Washington – October 26 Gary Kelley – October 29 Ed Slonaker – October 30
- Michelle Sadat – 2 years
- Former Club Member David Miller, currently with the Williamsport Club, lost his wife recently.
- The District Foundation Dinner has been cancelled but raffle tickets are available. See Chris Johnson. All but the first $10 ticket will count toward your annual support of the foundation.
- We will once again be distributing Santa angels and doing bell ringing at Walmart, both in partnership with The Salvation Army.
- You can pay Club dues at our website – https://www.martinsburgrotary.com/pay-dues/.
- Student Guests – We had two talented student guests last week from Martinsburg High School who were introduced by club member and MHS Principal Trent Sherman.
- Theodora Nguyen has a 4.5 GPA. Plans to attend WVU to study computer science.
- Naieem Kearney hopes to attend an Ivy League school and would ultimately like to study law.
- Penny Porter sold tickets. There was $283 in the pot and 16 cards left in the deck. Newest member Robert Sowell had the winning ticket but did not win the pot.