Grapevine – November 4, 2020
Note about meeting venue: The Club will continue meeting in person at the Holiday Inn, along with an option to join virtually.
Last week: President Pam showed some photos that included an always smiling Pete Dufourny on the mission trip to help victims of flooding in southern West Virginia.
- The club is financially stable; we are where we should be at this point in the year.
- We will need to hold elections in December. The Club is looking for a person to step forward to hold a leadership position and ultimately serve as president of the Club.
- We are hoping to send an outbound exchange student abroad this year.
- Let’s be sure to stay connected during the struggles of the pandemic.
- There was a short video on the important work of the Rotary Foundation.
This Week: Mayor Harriet Johnson with City Manager Mark Baldwin, City of Martinsburg
November 12 – Darrell Shull, Berkeley County Elections Coordination
November 19 – Herb Smith, District Communications and Rotary PR update November 26 – Thanksgiving Holiday – No meeting
December 3 – Basketball Coaches
December 10 – WRNR – Rob and Dave for the Year in Review December 17 – Club Christmas Dinner (time to be determined) No noon meeting December 24 – Christmas Eve – No meeting December 31 – New Years Eve – No Meeting
- We held a moment of silence to remember Pete Dufourny who passed away suddenly on October 27. John Miller was recognized with a gift for his 50 years of service as a member of the Club.
- New member Robert L. Sowell was presented with his badge.
- Jim Seibert – November 3
- Rick McCune – 46 years
- Dean Russell – 32 years
- Gilbert Miller – 31 years
- Tina Combs – 16 years
- Lisa and Brian Fausey – 22 years on November 7
- Pete Dufourny, former club treasurer, passed away suddenly on October 27. He will be missed! https://www.brownfuneralhomeswv.com/memorials/peter–dufourny/4374984/obituary.php
- Dictionaries are ready for pickup. Volunteers are needed to deliver them.
- Former Club Member David Miller, currently with the Williamsport Club, lost his wife recently.
- Maria Lorensen announced that we will once again be distributing Santa Angels and doing bell ringing at Walmart, both in partnership with The Salvation Army. Angel tags should be available in the next few weeks. Bell ringing will be December 5 from 10:30-2:30 at the front entrance to Walmart on Foxcroft Avenue.
- You can pay Club dues at our website – https://www.martinsburgrotary.com/pay-dues/.
- From Secretary Doug on proposing a new member or leaving the club:
PROPOSING A NEW MEMBER
- Club member needs to bring the prospective member to two luncheon meetings
- If there is an interest club member must obtain new member application from the club’s secretary
- Club member needs to fill the application out in full and present back to the club secretary
- Club secretary will then read the prospective member to the entire board at the next board meeting (first Tuesday of every month)
- If approved the club secretary will read the prospective members name to the general membership at the next luncheon once the application is signed and the first quarter dues of $150 are paid
- If no objections from the general membership the prospective member is granted immediate membership the following noon luncheon
LEAVING THE CLUB
A club member who wishes to terminate their membership for whatever reason needs to send a written notice to the club secretary.
- We had two talented student guests last week from Martinsburg High School who were introduced by Katie Myers, school counselor and girls soccer coach.
- Jack Cushwa, senior, planning to serve in Army ROTC and study biology or pre-med.
- Emily Beck, senior, 4.1 GPA, interested in studying either secondary education or law.
- Robert Sowell sold tickets. There was $295 in the pot and 15 cards left in the deck. President Pam had the winning ticket but did not win the pot. She’ll need someone to sell tickets for her this week.