Grapevine – November 18, 2020
Note about meeting venue: The Club will continue meeting in person at the Holiday Inn, along with an option to join virtually.
Last week: Darrell Shull gave his new member bio and gave a talk on his experience as chief election officer in Berkeley County. Darrell has been in the world of politics for 40 years and moved to Martinsburg with his wife Carol 20 years ago. There were 51,845 voters in the county which is up 8,000 from the last election. The turnout was 62.11 percent.
Previous Week: Mayor Harriet Johnson and City Manager Mark Baldwin provided a program and answered questions.
This week: Herb Smith, District Communications and Rotary PR update.
- November 26 – Thanksgiving Holiday – No meeting
- December 3 – Basketball Coaches
- December 10 – WRNR – Rob and Dave for the Year in Review December 17 – Club Christmas Dinner (time to be determined) No noon meeting December 24 – Christmas Eve – No meeting
- December 31 – New Year’s – maybe
- Chris Johnson led us in the Pledge of Allegiance, provided an invocation and led us in the 4-Way Test.
- Wes Smith was announced as our newest member.
- Ruby Avey, Serenity Day Spa & Salon, guest of Wes Smith.
- Tammy Demick – November 9
- Ross Curtis – November 10
- Gary Manley – November 20
- Steve Redding – November 22
- Amanda Sink – November 24
- Jim Carpenter – 5 years
- Pam Curtis – 10 years
- Scott and Shannon Roberts – 7 years on November 16
- Sara Sloan was proposed as a new member by Chris Johnson. Let President Pam know if you have any objections.
- Santa Angels have been distributed and we will be doing bell ringing at Walmart, both in partnership with The Salvation Army. Bell ringing will be December 5 from 10:30-2:30 at the front entrance to Walmart on Foxcroft Avenue.
- You can pay Club dues at our website – https://www.martinsburgrotary.com/pay-dues/.
From Secretary Doug on proposing a new member or leaving the club:
PROPOSING A NEW MEMBER
- Club member needs to bring the prospective member to two luncheon meetings
- If there is an interest club member must obtain new member application from the club’s secretary
- Club member needs to fill the application out in full and present back to the club secretary
- Club secretary will then read the prospective member to the entire board at the next board meeting (first Tuesday of every month)
- If approved the club secretary will read the prospective members name to the general membership at the next luncheon once the application is signed and the first quarter dues of $150 are paid
- If no objections from the general membership the prospective member is granted immediate membership the following noon luncheon
LEAVING THE CLUB
- A club member who wishes to terminate their membership for whatever reason needs to send a written notice to the club secretary.
Student Guests – no student guests.
- There was $316 in the pot and 14 cards left in the deck. Maria had the winning ticket but did not win the pot.