Grapevine – March 17, 2021
Last week: Dr. Wm. Benjamin Martz, Jr., Dean, College of Business, Shepherd University, spoke about the curriculum of the business school and the rationale behind its development. He also outlined the various actions the University took in response to COVID-19.
This week: Kent Leonhardt, West Virginia Commissioner of Agriculture
March 25: Bill Powell, former U.S. Attorney of the Northern District of West Virginia
Greeter – Steve Roach was the greeter and led us in the Pledge of Allegiance, Invocation and 4-Way Test.
Guest – Tim Thomas, Paul Davies Refrigeration, was a guest of Darrell Shull.
- Kim Lanager – March 15
- Brad Janes – 5 years
- Lori Taylor – 4 years
- We provided dinner for 50 first responders last Thursday – thanks to those who contributed the needed items.
- Please sign up with Sandy Hamilton to be a greeter. We will still accomplish this meeting public health guidelines but thought it would be nice to have a greeter each week.
- June 24 we will hold the Installation Dinner at the Holiday Inn. It will also serve as our 100th Anniversary Celebration.
- Chris Johnson is asking members who have accumulated Foundation points, which are awarded to you by the Rotary Foundation when you make a gift, to consider donating them to the Club. The Club will then create a match for those wishing to achieve the Paul Harris Fellow level of $1,000. We have 6,000 matching points that we can give for the same amount in donations. In other words, a $500 gift and 500 match in points gets to Paul Harris. Please reach out to President Pam or Chris if you are interested in either a match or donating points.
- Chris Johnson has provided envelopes on the lunch tables for people to easily make their Rotary Foundation contributions.
- The golf tournament is scheduled for May 19 at The Woods. We have 8 or 9 foursomes now, but would like to have about 100 players, or 25 foursomes. We will also need volunteers. Individuals are welcome to sponsor as well as businesses. This will help to fund our scholarships to Interact and Rotaract students.
- Playground equipment will be installed on March 30 at the Ashley House, part of the recovery center. Our $10,000 toward this project was made possible by our previous donations to the Rotary Foundation.
- You can pay Club dues at our website – https://www.martinsburgrotary.com/pay-dues/.
Student Guests – Rotarian and Principal of Martinsburg High School Trent Sherman brought two student guests.
- Nathan Roemer, senior, plans to study medicine.
- Ashleigh Wallin, senior, is a member of Interact and has a 4.4 GPA. She plans to study cyber security.
- Buzz Poland sold tickets. There were 42 cards in the deck. Robin Zanotti had the winning ticket but did not draw the winning card.