Grapevine – June 8, 2021
Last week: Dr. Connie Smith is a board certified infectious diseases specialist at WVU Medical Center. She talked about Covid-19 and indicated that variant strains have been identified in our local area. Our vaccines are holding up well to them. Healthy lifestyles are a strong preventative measure and extremely important for combatting this disease process.
This week: Member bio
June 17: Dr. Zakee McGill, President, NAACP, Berkeley County June 24: Installation Dinner and 100th Anniversary Celebration (no lunch program)
July 8: Purple Iris, Martinsburg Chief of Police George Swartwood
July 29: Club picnic at Poorhouse Farm
- Jim Ouellet was the greeter and led us in the Pledge of Allegiance, provided an invocation and led us in the Four Way Test.
Special Presentations made by President Pam Wagoner
- Tim Thomas received his official Rotary badge
- Kevin Starliper PH Plus Two
- Maria Lorensen PH Plus One
- Dana DeJarnett – June 11
- Dr. Ram Kamath – June 10
- Jim and Lisa Rodgers – 40 years
- Ross Curtis – 19 years
- Brian Jolliff – 10 years
- Nina Arnett was proposed for membership by Berniece Collis.
- Jennifer Webb was proposed for membership by Pete Mulford.
- Joshua Webb was proposed for membership by Pete Mulford.
- Dana Orsini from the Shepherdstown Rotary will be installed as District Governor on June 27 at the Bavarian Inn. Sign up through the district’s website. Tickets to attend are $45.
- Lori Taylor’s husband, Chuck, passed away after a battle with cancer. Services were held at Brown Funeral Home last week.
- Children’s Music in the park – come to the square in downtown Martinsburg on Fridays at 10:15 to serve water for 45 minutes. Sign-up sheets were on the tables.
- The Club’s 100th Anniversary Celebration and Installation Dinner will be held June 24, 2021 at the Holiday Inn. Cocktails and hors d’oeuvres at 5:30 pm and dinner at 6:30 pm. Members should have received an invitation. RSVP by using one of the sign-up sheets on the tables during the lunch meeting.
- The Club will be staffing the concession at the Berkeley County Youth Fair on July 31.
- Pam will be taking over as Area Assistant District Governor.
- Please sign up with Sandy Hamilton to be a greeter.
- June 17 will be the last member meeting where Zoom participation will be made available.
- You can pay Club dues at our website – https://www.martinsburgrotary.com/pay-dues/.
- Bill Wortley sold tickets. The pot had $231 and there were 29 cards left in the deck. Marilyn Schoon had the winning ticket but did not draw the winning card.