Grapevine – July 22, 2021
Greeter – Rob Lowe was the greeter and lead us in the Pledge of Allegiance, Invocation, and the Four-Way Test.
- Keri Goodwin
- Jennifer Smith
- Patrick Darlington
- President Steve Truax is having an Executive Committee meeting Monday, July 26th at Noon.
- We will have our Annual Picnic at Poor House Farm barn July 29th. Set-up at 4:30. Start
socializing at 5, start eating at 6 and no lunch meeting that day. Mostly social.
- The Club will be staffing the concession at the Berkeley County Youth Fair on July 31. Berniece Collis is recruiting volunteers.
- Children’s Music in the park – Pam requested volunteers to fill the Aug 5th event. Gail and Denise volunteered on the spot. Thanks for all who have volunteered up until now!!!
- We are working a Wellness Screening at the Wellness Center on Sept 25th. Volunteers should plan to be there by 5:30 AM.
- We are cooking and serving at the Apple Harvest Pancake Breakfast on October 16th and 17th. We are looking for volunteers for that.
- There are District grants surveys and a few booklets about Rotary’s seven areas of focus. Please help us come up with ideas for this year’s district grants. We will discuss at the picnic July 29th.
- The Rotary Foundation dinner is Sept. 25th starting at 4:30PM.
- Pete requests that any member having suggestions or thoughts about programs for the future to please reach out to someone on the Programs Committee.
- You can pay club dues at our website – https://www.martinsburgrotary.com/pay-dues/.
- Do you know what DACdb is? (I had absolutely no idea until I started doing this!!!) https://www.dacdb.com It is a portal for Rotarians. You can go to the website and create a username and password. From there you have access to the entire member directory for our club!!! In addition, you can see what’s going on in the District. What are you waiting for?
Pete Mulford announced today’s speaker Dana DeJarnett, WVU Medicine East, Health Promotion Coordinator. Dana’s presentation was titled, What Makes Berkeley County a Healthy Place to Live, Work and Play? To start she discussed What COVID has taught us as well as how WV ranks in health compared to the US – 45 out of 50. The WV Bureau of Public Health Division of Health Promotion and Chronic Disease created Healthy People Healthy Places. The goal of this program is to affect change in WV’s health outcomes and focuses on tobacco policy, physical activity opportunity, fruit, vegetable, and water consumption, policy, system, and environment, and recognizing exemplary work in communities. Healthier Berkeley started by City Hospital early 2000s. Healthy Berkeley: It’s Up to Us formed after attending the Try This Conference in 2014. (Try This Grant in 2014, 2015, & 2020 and Growing Healthy Community Grant in 2015 & 2017). The program has representation and support from many individuals and organizations within the County. Martinsburg has won Gold in year 1 and Berkeley Co in year 2 for Healthy People Healthy Places. Dana discussed the many benchmarks required to be eligible to win these awards and what we have done in each area to qualify. Lastly, Dana mentioned some of the areas that offer opportunity for improvement. These included: youth led groups, more trails, use of SNAP at Farmers Markets, and smoking cessation programs to name a few.
- July 29 – No Lunch meeting – Family Picnic at Poor House Farm at 5PM
- Aug 3 – BOARD MEETING
- Aug 5 – Club Assembly
- Aug 12 – Change of location ***Hilton Garden Inn*** Mark Kraham, WDVM-TV
- Bill Wortley (after taking a refresher course) sold tickets, Pam Wagoner’s ticket was drawn. There were 50 cards in the deck and she did not draw the King of Spades. Pam will be unavailable to sell tickets at the Picnic so Tracy Regalia volunteered.
July Wedding Anniversaries:
- Pam & Elwood Wagoner – July 14 – 41 years (WOW!!!)
- George & Renee Karos – July 15 for 20 years
- Manuel & Patricia Washington – July 16
- Robin & Mike Zanotti – July 24 – 17 years
- Steve & Tina Roach – July 26 – 41 years (AMAZING!!!)
- Thomas Belfield – 2
- Butch Cazin – 3
- Jim Oullet – 3
- Pete Mulford – 5
- Michael Hite – 8
- Wes Smith – 8
- Tina Combs – 13
- Brian Jolliff – 14
- Renee Pifer – 16
- Dean Russell – 17
- Stephen Cox – 18
- Craig Martin – 22
- Jonathan Agee – 27
July Member Anniversaries:
- Isabella & Jorgina – July 17 – 7 years
- Gary Manley – July 1 – 26 years
- Vonda Miller – July 25 – 20 years
- Edward Slonaker – July 1 – 30 years
Just a friendly reminder about a few summer events happening in the community:
- Free Aquatics for seniors (55+) through BC Parks & Rec. M-F from 11-12 at War Memorial (look for Buzz) and aquatic aerobics at Lambert M-F from 11-12.
- Every Thursday at War Memorial Park from 7PM – Dark is FREE live music!!!! July 29 – US Navy Band, Aug 5 – Original Moonlighters, Aug 12 – Cazhmiere!!!!!, etc.… Check out www.mbcparksrec.org for more info.
- Every Friday at the Martinsburg Town Square from 5-7PM is FREE live music!!!! July 30 – Mike Clement and Friend, etc.… I have attached the music schedule on the last page.
- Every Friday at the Martinsburg Town Square during the same time period is a Farmers Market.
- ***Denise mentioned that in addition to all the other things happening Fridays, on Aug 6th there will also be an Art Walk downtown from 5-9***