Grapevine – April 28, 2021
Last week: Bill Powell, attorney with Steptoe and Johnson and former U.S. Attorney of the Northern District of West Virginia. He was the top law enforcement officer for 32 counties. He prosecuted any and all federal crimes and carried out other Department of Justice initiatives.
This week: Club Assembly
May 6: Chaz Printz, the World Affairs Seminar
May 13: Thornton Hilleary, Cool Spring Farm geology
May 27: WV Senator Craig Blair, Senate Chairman
June 24: Dinner meeting – Installation Dinner and 100th Anniversary Celebration
- Kevin Starliper was the greeter and led us in the Pledge of Allegiance, Invocation and 4-Way Test.
- John Douglas Miller – April 25
- Jim Rodgers – April 26
- John Lucas – April 29
- Lacy Rice – 51 years
- Joe Brookreson – 34 years
- Steve Cox – 34 years
- George Karos – 34 years
- Craig Martin – 34 years
- Manuel Washington – 30 years
- Chaz Printz – 29 years
- Jason Stedman – 1 year
- Carolyn Miller passed away. She was the spouse of long-time member Gilbert Miller who also passed away recently.
- Derek Parsons was inducted into the Club.
- Pam will be taking over as Area Assistant District Governor.
- Mike Hite was presented with his Paul Harris plus 4 pin.
- Prior to the lunch meeting on April 29 at 11:20, there will be a dedication and ribbon cutting ceremony at Ashley House for the playground equipment we installed. Members are encouraged to attend.
- An in-person Membership Mixer is planned for June 3. The Membership Committee is looking for a location but the Club will pay the expenses. Let President Pam or Kevin Starliper know if you’d be interested in hosting the mixer.
- New member orientation is scheduled for May 18. You may choose one of two times.
- In addition to other positions that need to be filled, we are establishing a Program Committee to share the workload of providing interesting weekly meetings. If you are interested, please see Steve Truax. We are also still in search of a Program Chair.
- The golf tournament is scheduled for May 19 at The Woods. We have successfully maxed out our number of golfers but could squeeze someone in if they want to play.
- Our club has a $12,000 foundation goal for the Annual Fund. We are currently at $9,900 for Annual Fund, $10,458 when we include Polio Plus. Chris Johnson has provided envelopes on the lunch tables for people to easily make their Rotary Foundation contributions.
- Please sign up with Sandy Hamilton to be a greeter. We will continue to use public health guidelines.
- It is proposed that on July 1 we end the use of Zoom for virtual weekly meetings but continue to use Zoom for board meetings. Please provide President Pam any feedback you may have on this.
- You can pay Club dues at our website – https://www.martinsburgrotary.com/pay-dues/.
- The pot had $165 and there were 35 cards left in the deck. Pam Wagoner had the winning ticket, again, but once again did not draw the winning card.