February 27, 2017 Grapevine
This week’s Grapevine includes numerous timely items, including this video > ROTARY CONVENTION, JUNE, 2017
Convention almost sold out – more info at bottom of this page. Hope to see you this Thursday!
RECAP OF THE LAST NOON MEETING (Feb 23rd)
Greeter: Chris Johnson
50/50: Maria Lorensen sold tickets. Buzz Poland won the ticket drawing but not the winning card.Buzz Poland will sell tickets next week.
Guests (hosts): Carol Shull (Darrell Shull), Larry and Anita Cooper (Walt Ridenour)
Golden Moments: Share yours at our next meeting!
MAIN PROGRAM – An outstanding program by Stacie Rohn with the Boys and Girls Club. The many ways our own nationally recognized Boys and Girls Club touches our disadvantaged kids is amazing. Last year, 1300 kids participated in sports, tutoring and mentoring; 36,290 meals served; over 22,000 snacks served. For more info, including donating and volunteering > CLICK HERE.
Stacie Rohn, Executive Director, Boys and Girls Club of the Eastern Panhandle
You are invited – see flyer below. Four decades of youth photography, taught by Pat Murphy.
Now at Berkeley Artworks, 116 N. Queen. Wed-Fri (11 am to 5 pm); Sat (11 am to 4 pm)
BEST AND BRIGHTEST FROM SPRING MILLS HS
L/R: Aneyla Dozier, Noah Gross
RECAP OF THE LAST EVENING (SATELLITE) MEETING (Feb 23rd)
Grapevine liason – Tiffany Arnett. Primary contact for group is Drew Bartoldson – [email protected]
- Planning – Pancakes for Polio Breakfast on May 29th
- Planning – Pennies for Polio project with Rotaract and Interact clubs
- Listened to Travis Bishop talk about the power of one and his experience helping flood victims in Clendenin.
Notice for upcoming NOON meetings –
Best and Brightest Students each week: March – Hedgesville HS; April – Musselman HS; May – Martinsburg HS
If you have suggestions for our main program, please see Amanda Giangola, Program Chairman > [email protected]
- This Thursday, March 2nd (noon at HI). Main program – Dr. William (Chip) Zimmer, Shepherd University (MBA Summit)
- Thursday, March 9th (noon at McFarland House). Main program – Very exciting, but too soon to announce!
- Thursday, March 16th (noon at HI). Main program – Berkeley County High School Baseball Coaches
- March 23rd (noon at Purple Iris). Main program – Chauncey Winbush, Shepherd’s new athletic director.
Grapevine liason – Tiffany Arnett. Primary contact for group is Drew Bartoldson – [email protected]
- This Thursday, March 2nd, 6 pm to 7 pm at the The Hub. Planning for upcoming socials.
- Thursday social, March 9th, 6 pm to 7 pm at the The Hub. Members encouraged to invite and bring guests.
- Thursday social, March 16th, 6 pm to 7 pm at the The Hub. Members encouraged to invite and bring guests.
ROTARY NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
Also see “Community Announcements” below.
- Bill Stover’s weekly wisdom: Borrow money from pessimists — they don’t expect it back.
- More greeters needed! Please see Sandy Hamilton.
- Our outbound exchange student for 2017/2018 is Ben Merzouk from Hedgesville HS. Congrats, Ben!
- Our inbound exchange student for 2017/2018 will be announced soon, which means we are in the hunt for host families to take portions of the next school year. If you have an interest, please don’t put off getting the facts and making a decision. To see if being a host family is for you, please contact Doug Frye or Craig Bartoldson.
- Our Short Term Exchange Program (STEP) outbound exchange student this summer is Jemma Piasecki from Martinsburg HS. Congrats, Jemma!
- INTERACT & ROTARACT. A new Rotaract chapter at James Rumsey is now officially chartered. Rotaract at Blue Ridge CTC plus Interact at Musselman, Hedgesville and Spring Mills are thriving and Faith Christian will soon be chartered – thanks to the leadership of Berniece Collis and other Rotarians who serve in a liaison capacity (see contacts at bottom of the Grapevine). Interact at Martinsburg High, sponsored by Sunrise Rotary, continues to thrive.
- Applications for Rotary Interact Scholarships (funded by our Golf Tourney) have been mailed to area high schools.
- March 10th – Shepherdstown Rotary Wine Tasting Dinner at Bavarian Inn > CLICK FOR DETAILS
- March 11 (Saturday) – Historic dinner with RI President (see below). Last call – RSVP by 2/28/17!
- March 14th at the Martinsburg Holiday Inn – Our own Pam Wagoner will honored by the Boy Scouts of America at its annual Distinguished Citizen Dinner. Please join Pete Mulford at a table of Martinsburg Rotarians. For tickets, contact Doug Band at 304 940-1201 or email [email protected].
To sponsor a LOCAL scout (just $10/month), please use attached form.Final deadline is 3/1/17.
- Two dates are now available for Rotary Leadership Institute (RLI) training. March 25 (Coal Center, PA) and April 8 (Lewisburg, PA), See Brian Jolliff asap if interested.
- March 29th (Wednesday) – Rotary Mixer, starts at 5:30 pm. Location to be determined. Want to help plan our future mixers? Contact Chris Johnson at 304 263-5680 x122 or email cjohnson@panhandlehomehealth.
- MAY 12 – 14 – DISTRICT CONFERENCE AT SPLIT ROCK RESORT: Fun in the Poconos (Lake Harmony, PA). Register NOW for best room rates and selection. No special rates offered after April 10. > Registration Form
- HS MOCK INTERVIEWS on March 8th, 9th, 17th and 24th: Help wanted!
- April 8th (Saturday) – Annual Community Health Screening. REGISTER NOW!
- May 26 2017 – Get Acquainted Meet & Greet – DG Mike Hornby’s House.
- May 29, Monday, Memorial Day – Rotary’s free ‘Pancakes for Polio Breakfast’ – 8 am to 11 am.
Bring the whole family to War Memorial Park and enjoy a delicious pancake breakfast with sausage, biscuits, sausage gravy and more… served up by Martinsburg Rotary’s Satellite Club members. What a great way to honor those who have served our great country. Proceeds will benefit Rotary International’s mission to eradicate polio worldwide.
- Annual Rotary Foundation Drive moves into high gear! Checks accepted at every meeting through June.
- SPECIAL WRNR-Rotary Foundation Drive is also in full swing. This innovative project raises money by allowing people and businesses to sponsor PSAs on WRNR for charities and non-profits. More people/businesses are needed to sponsor PSAs plus some Rotarians who would like to record some of the PSAs. 100% of proceeds go to our LOCAL Rotary Foundation. See Brian Jolliff or Mike Hornby for required form shown below.
- GOLF TOURNAMENTS – See community announcements below.
- Eastern West Virginia Community Foundation Competitive Grants. Now open to apply (until 3/1/17) > click for info
- Another High Impact Grant Opportunity! Women Investing in Shepherd (WISH) is now accepting applications from non-profits that meet following criteria (1) Responses to urgent and critical needs (2) Bold new ventures; and/or (3) New approaches to ongoing challenges. Applicant organizations must have a current 501 (c) (3) determination from IRS and be based in and primarily serving the following counties: Jefferson, Berkeley, Morgan, and Hampshire counties in WV; Frederick, Loudoun, and Clarke counties in VA; and Frederick and Washington counties in MD. This grant pool is estimated to be $51,250. WISH will award up to two equal grants of $25,625. Applicants must show need for use of this high impact amount in a time span of no greater than three (3) years. Contact – Meg Peterson, mpeterso@shepherd.
edu. Letter of Inquiry (submissions) accepted until March 1, 2017 > CLICK HERE
- March 4th, Holiday Inn, Martinsburg – Saturday Night at the Races Gala – sponsored by the Professional Business Women’s Association to fund local scholarships for continuing educations. MORE INFO
- Full Ride Scholarships at Blue Ridge CTC with benefits are offered by the Power Systems Institute to those wishing to become a lineman. If you know of possible candidates, contact Rotarian Charlene Gilliam (First Energy) asap.
- April 27th (Thursday) Panhandle Home Health MINIATURE Golf Tournament. Shotgun start at 1 pm at JayDee’s Family Fun Center. Registration/cancellation deadline is April 7. For more info and registration > CLICK HERE
- May 1st – Holes ‘fore’ Hunger Golf Tournament – see flyer.
- Fulton L. Walker, Jr. Charity Golf Classic, May 5 at Locust Hill Golf Course (Charles Town). For more info or to sign up, contact Robert Sowell (571 220-0951) or email > [email protected]
- OTHER LIKELY GOLF TOURNAMENTS: April 1, July 12th. Chair persons or organizers for these and other golf tournaments should email the Grapevine with particulars (and a flyer, if available) so that each may be properly promoted in the Grapevine.
- Link to upcoming United Way activities > click here
- Chamber’s Calendar of Events > click here
TWO HISTORIC EVENTS THAT YOU JUST CANNOT MISS!
As you may know, Rotary International Conventions are fun, life-changing events and most are overseas – which creates a major barrier for many club members. But in 2017 and 2018, local Rotarians will benefit from some historically fortunate scheduling. Both of these conventions will be held in exciting locations that are driveable from Martinsburg – or you can fly or take Amtrak.
BOOKING UP! 2017 Rotary International Convention, June 10 – 14 in Atlanta.
Online info and registration | More on Facebook
2018 Rotary International Convention, June 24 – 27 in Toronto. Official online info
LINKS TO ROTARY RESOURCES
Rotary Club Of Martinsburg
President: Brian Jolliff
President-Elect: Mike Hite
Vice President: Amanda Giangola
Secretary: Doug Arndt
Treasurer: Pete Dufourny
Sergeant at Arms: Ross Curtis
MEMBER RESOURCE CENTER (DACdb) > Login
EVENING (SATELLITE) GROUP
Primary contact is Drew Bartoldson – [email protected]
Grapevine contact – Tiffany Arnette
ROTARACT CLUBS – Berniece Collis, Coordinator
Blue Ridge: Club Liaison – Maria Lorensen
James Rumsey: Club Liason – Vicki Jenkins
HIGH SCHOOL INTERACT CLUBS – Berniece Collis, Coordinator
Hedgesville: Club Liaison – Vickie Elliott
Musselman: Club Liaison – Bill Bowen
Spring Mills: Club Liaison – Tina Combs
Faith Christian: Chartering in process.
Martinsburg: Sponsored by Sunrise Rotary Club
OUR 2016-2017 INBOUND EXCHANGE STUDENT
Wiktoria (Wiki) Warzycka, attending MHS. Home – Poland/Denmark
OUR 2017-2018 OUTBOUND EXCHANGE STUDENT
Ben Merzouk from Hedgesville High School
OUR 2017 OUTBOUND SHORT TERM EXCHANGE STUDENT
Jemma Piasecki from Martinsburg High School
OUR 2017-2018 INBOUND EXCHANGE STUDENT
TBA – To be a host family, see Doug Frye or Craig Bartoldson
OUR CLUB ON FACEBOOK
OUR CLUB’S WEBSITE
FOUR WAY TEST
Of the things we think, say or do –
Is it the truth?
Is it fair to all concerned?
Will it build goodwill and better friendships?
Will it be beneficial to all concerned?
I hope this edition of The Grapevine helped get your week off to a fine start.
We look forward to seeing you this Thursday at Rotary.
Bill Yearout , Grapevine Editor
Grapevine email > grapevinemartinsburg@gmail.