February 20, 2017 Grapevine
This week’s Grapevine includes numerous timely items, including this neat video > PEACE AND ROTARY
Hope to see you this Thursday!
Greeter: Oops! Someone forgot their assignment.
50/50: Jim Klein sold tickets. Maria Lorensen won the ticket drawing but not the winning card. Maria Lorensen will sell tickets next week.
Birthdays celebrated: Doug Frye, Katie Rose, Jim Smith. Steve and Kathy Truax also celebrated thier 14th anniversary.
Guests (hosts): Chatlotte Norris and Heather Polinik (Penny Porter), Lori Taylor (Sandy Hamilton), Larry and Anita Cooper (Walt Ridenour), Yogi Yoder (Mike Hite).
Golden Moments: Share yours at any upcoming meeting!
MAIN PROGRAM – An outstanding program on the United Way by Penny Porter (CEO), with Heather Polinik and Charlotte Norris. The many ways that United Way touches our community is amazing.
L/R: Penny Porter, Heather Polinik, Charlotte Norris
BEST AND BRIGHTEST FROM SPRING MILLS HS
L/R: Sydney Shaw is a senior and will attend Shepherd University. Braxton Roman is a senior and will attend college somewhere in WV.
RECAP OF LAST EVENING MEETING (Feb 16th)
A new member – Carrie Ramsey. Welcome, Carrie!
Notice for upcoming NOON meetings –
Best and Brightest Students each week: February – Spring Mills HS; March – Hedgesville HS; April – Musselman HS; May – Martinsburg HS
If you have suggestions for our main program, please see Amanda Giangola, Program Chairman > [email protected]
- This Thursday, February 23rd (noon at HI). Main program – Stacie Rohn with the Boys and Girls Club.
- Thursday, March 2nd (noon at HI). Main program – Dr. William Zimmer will be speaking about the upcoming MBA Summit at Shepherd.
Primary contact for evening (Satellite) group is Drew Bartoldson – [email protected]
- This Thursday, February 23rd, 6 pm to 7 pm at the The Hub.
ROTARY NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
Also see “Community Announcements” below.
- Bill Stover’s weekly wisdom: Bakers trade bread recipes on a knead-to-know basis.
- More greeters needed! Please see Sandy Hamilton.
- Our outbound exchange student for 2017/2018 is Ben Merzouk from Hedgesville HS. Congrats, Ben!
- Our inbound exchange student for 2017/2018 will be announced soon, which means we are in the hunt for host families to take portions of the next school year. If you have an interest, please don’t put off getting the facts and making a decision. To see if being a host family is for you, please contact Doug Frye or Craig Bartoldson.
- Our Short Term Exchange Program (STEP) outbound exchange student for this summer is Jemma Piasecki from Martinsburg HS. Congrats, Jemma!
- INTERACT & ROTARACT – our sponsored clubs. A new Rotaract chapter at James Rumsey is now officially chartered while Rotaract at Blue Ridge CTC has new leaders and continues to grow. Interact at Musselman, Hedgesville and Spring Mills are thriving and Faith Christian will soon be chartered. These programs continue to grow, thanks to the leadership of Berniece Collis and other Rotarians who serve in a liaison capacity (see contacts at bottom of the Grapevine). Interact at Martinsburg High, sponsored by Sunrise Rotary, continues to thrive.
- Applications for Rotary Interact Scholarships (funded by our Golf Tourney) have been mailed to area high schools.
- Two dates are now available for Rotary Leadership Institute (RLI) training. March 25 (Coal Center, PA) and April 8 (Lewisburg, PA), See Brian Jolliff asap if interested.
- February 26th – The Hagerstown Rotary Bull & Oyster Roast. Great food, beer, wine and fun. Tickets, $50. We’d like to sit together, so contact Brian Jolliff NOW for tickets and seating reservations (19 have already signed up).
- March 10th – Shepherdstown Rotary Wine Tasting Dinner at Bavarian Inn > CLICK FOR DETAILS
- March 14th at the Martinsburg Holiday Inn – Our own Pam Wagoner will honored by the Boy Scouts of American at its annual Distinguished Citizen Dinner. Please join Pete Mulford at a table of Martinsburg Rotarians. For tickets, contact Doug Band at 304 940-1201 or email [email protected]. Final deadline is 3/1/17. Also, if you’d like to sponsor a LOCAL scout (just $10/month), please use attached form.
- MAY 12 – 14 – DISTRICT CONFERENCE AT SPLIT ROCK RESORT: Fun in the Poconos (Lake Harmony, PA). Register NOW for best room rates and selection. No special rates offered after April 10. > Registration Form
- HS MOCK INTERVIEWS on March 8th, 9th, 17th and 24th: Help wanted!
- April 8th (Saturday) – Annual Community Health Screening. REGISTER NOW!
- Annual Rotary Foundation Drive moves into high gear! Checks accepted at every meeting through June.
- SPECIAL WRNR-Rotary Foundation Drive is also in full swing. This innovative project raises money by allowing people and businesses to sponsor PSAs on WRNR for charities and non-profits. More people/businesses are needed to sponsor PSAs plus some Rotarians who would like to record some of the PSAs. 100% of proceeds go to our LOCAL Rotary Foundation. See Brian Jolliff or Mike Hornby for required form shown below.
- GOLF TOURNAMENTS – See community announcements below.
- Eastern West Virginia Community Foundation Competitive Grants. Now open to apply (until 3/1/17) > click for info
- Another High Impact Grant Opportunity! Women Investing in Shepherd (WISH) is now accepting applications from non-profits that meet following criteria (1) Responses to urgent and critical needs (2) Bold new ventures; and/or (3) New approaches to ongoing challenges. Applicant organizations must have a current 501 (c) (3) determination from IRS and be based in and primarily serving the following counties: Jefferson, Berkeley, Morgan, and Hampshire counties in WV; Frederick, Loudoun, and Clarke counties in VA; and Frederick and Washington counties in MD. This grant pool is estimated to be $51,250. WISH will award up to two equal grants of $25,625. Applicants must show need for use of this high impact amount in a time span of no greater than three (3) years. Contact – Meg Peterson, mpeterso@shepherd.
edu. Letter of Inquiry (submissions) accepted until March 1, 2017 > CLICK HERE
- March 4th, Holiday Inn, Martinsburg – Saturday Night at the Races Gala – sponsored by the Professional Business Women’s Association to fund local scholarships for continuing educations. MORE INFO
- March 14th at the Martinsburg Holiday Inn – Our own Pam Wagoner will honored by the Boy Scouts of American at its annual Distinguished Citizen Dinner. Please join Pete Mulford at a table he has put together of Martinsburg Rotarians. For tickets, contact Doug Band at 304 940-1201 or email [email protected]. Final deadline is 3/1/17. Also, if you’d like to sponsor a LOCAL scout (just $10/month), please use attached form.
- Full Ride Scholarships at Blue Ridge CTC with benefits are offered by the Power Systems Institute to those wishing to become a lineman. If you know of possible candidates, contact Rotarian Charlene Gilliam (First Energy) asap.
- April 8th (Saturday) – Annual Community Health Screening. REGISTER NOW!
- April 27th (Thursday) Panhandle Home Health MINIATURE Golf Tournament. Shotgun start at 1 pm at JayDee’s Family Fun Center. Registration/cancelation deadline is April 7. For more info and registration > CLICK HERE
- Fulton L. Walker, Jr. Charity Golf Classic, May 5 at Locust Hill Golf Course (Charles Town). For more info or to sign up, contact Robert Sowell (571 220-0951) or email > [email protected]
- OTHER GOLF TOURNAMENTS: April 1, May 1, July 12th. Chair persons or organizers for these and other golf tournaments should email the Grapevine with particulars (and a flyer, if available) so that each may be properly promoted in the Grapevine.
- Link to upcoming United Way activities > click here
- Chamber’s Calendar of Events > click here
TWO HISTORIC EVENTS THAT YOU JUST CANNOT MISS!
As you may know, Rotary International Conventions are fun, life-changing events and most are overseas – which creates a major barrier for many club members. But in 2017 and 2018, local Rotarians will benefit from some historically fortunate scheduling. Both of these conventions will be held in exciting locations that are driveable from Martinsburg – or you can fly or take Amtrak.
BOOKING UP! 2017 Rotary International Convention, June 10 – 14 in Atlanta.
Online info and registration | More on Facebook
2018 Rotary International Convention, June 24 – 27 in Toronto. Official online info
LINKS TO ROTARY RESOURCES
Rotary Club Of Martinsburg
President: Brian Jolliff
President-Elect: Mike Hite
Vice President: Amanda Giangola
Secretary: Doug Arndt
Treasurer: Pete Dufourny
Sergeant at Arms: Ross Curtis
MEMBER RESOURCE CENTER (DACdb) > Login
EVENING (SATELLITE) GROUP
Primary contact is Drew Bartoldson – [email protected]
ROTARACT CLUB AT BLUE RIDGE CTC
President – Eileen Kusnirak
Club Liaison – Maria Lorensen
HIGH SCHOOL INTERACT CLUBS
Hedgesville: Club Liaison – Vickie Elliott
Musselman: Club Liaison – Bill Bowen
Spring Mills: Club Liaison – Tina Combs
James Rumsey: Club Liaison – Vicki Jenkins
OUR 2016-2017 INBOUND EXCHANGE STUDENT
Wiktoria Warzycka (Wiki), attending MHS, from Poland, Denmark
OUR 2017-2018 OUTBOUND EXCHANGE STUDENT
Ben Merzouk, from Hedgesville High School
OUR 2017 OUTBOUND SHORT TER EXCHANGE STUDENT
Jemma Piasecki, from Martinsburg High School
OUR 2017-2018 INBOUND EXCHANGE STUDENT
TBA – To be a host family, see Doug Frye or Craig Bartoldson
OUR CLUB ON FACEBOOK
OUR CLUB’S WEBSITE
FOUR WAY TEST
Of the things we think, say or do –
Is it the truth?
Is it fair to all concerned?
Will it build goodwill and better friendships?
Will it be beneficial to all concerned?
I hope this edition of The Grapevine helped get this week off to a fine start.
We look forward to seeing you this Thursday at Rotary.
Bill Yearout , Grapevine Editor
Grapevine email > grapevinemartinsburg@gmail.