December 5, 2016 Grapevine
Kudos to Martinsburg High School Football for yet another state championship, to Shepherd University for a great win, to WVU Women’s Soccer for going all the way to the national championship, to WVU Basketball for 2 big wins (men over UVA and women over Ole Miss) – and to WVU Football and our own Justin Arndt for a great win over Baylor and a truly inspirational ride!!
RECAP OF LAST NOON MEETING (also see Rotary and community announcements below)
Greeter – Karen Spence
Guests (hosts) – Anita Cooper (Walt Ridenour), Suzanne Taylor (Page Burdette), Matthew Mosher (Tina Combs), Carol Preston (Charles Preston)
50/50 Tickets – Sold by Larry Pitzer. Winner – Kevin Knowles. Normal payout/no jackpot was drawn. Seller for upcoming meeting – Dana Knowles.
Birthdays celebrated – Vic Roberts, Mike Hornby, Amy Castle, Charlene Gilliam, Matthew Whitler
Program – Martinsburg High School Good Times Show Choir. Need an excuse to support these kids? watch this video.
UPCOMING & URGENT – NOON & EVENING MEMBERS
- Next noon meeting: Thursday, December 8th at Holiday Inn, Martinsburg. Program – Annual club meeting and elections.
- Next evening (Satellite) meeting: Thursday, December 8th, 5:45 to 7 pm at Phoenix Mill Cafe. All welcome. Bring a friend.
- Christmas Angels Deadline – Please finish shopping asap. Do NOT wrap gifts; each gift must have your CODE NUMBER attached to it to insure delivery to your angel. Turn in your gifts at meeting THIS Thursday, December 8th!
- Free Holiday/Christmas Dinner is Thursday, December 15th at Holiday Inn. There will no meetings on 12/15. Cocktails (2 drink coupons pp) at 5:30 pm; entertainment at 6 pm and dinner at 6: 30 pm. Event is free for each Martinsburg Rotarian + one guest, but you must register in advance. RSVP by email to [email protected] or call 304 839-6622.
- Santa Breakfast (on December 10th) still needs a lot more inexpensive auction items for kids. Please bring items to Dec 8th meeting and see Penny Porter. Breakfast tickets are just $10 – also available at meeting, Depot Florist, Patterson Drugs.
- Taste of the Panhandle, January 14th: Approximately 100 tickets are currently available ($85 per person). This is our signature event, it’s lots of fun and we need strong Rotary participation and a sell-out! A Chamber email blast just went out, so get your tickets before they are gone. Tickets available at our noon meeting this Thursday, or contact Leslie Crabill at [email protected] or Kresha Hornby at [email protected]. S
- Future noon meetings: Thursday
, December 22nd will feature a presentation on Rotary Flood Relief in WV (Pam and Pete). Students from Martinsburg High School will be featured at January meetings (no students in December). Each program in January will also focus on vocations/very interesting. If you have program suggestions, please see Amanda Vance Giangola, Program Chairman > [email protected]
ROTARY NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
Also see “Communiy Announcements” below.
- NEWSFLASH FROM BILL STOVER’S HUMORARIUM > Local Area Network in Australia – the LAN down under.
- Santa Breakfast on December 10th and more inexpensive auction items for kids are still needed! Please bring to next meeting and see Penny Porter. Breakfast tickets are just $10 – also available at meeting, Depot Florist, Patterson Drugs.
- More greeters needed! See Sandy Hamilton.
- Annual Rotary Foundation Drive underway! Checks accepted at every meeting through June.
- Exceptional opportunity! Be a host family for the Summer Short Term Exchange. Contact Craig Bartoldson. See attachment
- Thanks Bell Ringers, for a job well done this Saturday at Walmart! Sandy Hamilton, Vickie Elliott, Pete Mulford, Pam Curtis, Steve Cox, Bill Yearout, Berniece and Craig Collis, Karen Spence and hubby, Chad and the Musselman Interact Club – plus Ed Arnett, Joe Brookreson, Ross Curtis and their outstanding barbershop quartet.
- SPECIAL WRNR-Rotary Foundation Drive is in full swing. Innovative project raises money by allowing people and businesses to sponsor PSAs on WRNR for charities and non-profits. More people/businesses are needed to sponsor PSAs plus some Rotarians who would like to record some of the PSAs. 100% of proceeds go to our LOCAL Rotary Foundation. See Brian Jolliff or Mike Hornby for required form shown below.
COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS AT MEETING
- United Way Holiday Open House is Tuesday, Dec 13 (5 pm – 6:30 pm) at their Edwin Miller Blvd location. No RSVP required. For other United Way activities > click here
- Reception at Historic McFarland House (409 S Queen) on Tuesday, December 13 (4 pm to 6:30 pm) to celebrate the transfer of Judge-elect Laura Faircloth’s law practice to Stedman & Riddell. Hors d’oeuvres/cash bar. RSVP – 304 267-3949.
- EP Community Foundation programs (including college scholarships) > click for info
- Deadline fast approaching for some special tax credits! CCAP/Loaves & Fishes has been awarded $50,000 in tax credits by the WV Development Office for 2016 which means that 2016 donors can receive tax credits of $0.50 per $1 contributed (minimum contribution of $500). Tax credits are limited to first $100,000 in total contributions received by CCAP. This is one of the highest NIP awards of tax credits this year to any organization in the state. See Doug Frye for more info.
- Rotarian Marie Keegin from the Faith Community Coalition for the Homeless ) announced planning for a homeless shelter in Martinsburg with Pastor Ken Walker from Trinity UMC coordinating the effort. They need other churches, sponsors, helpers etc. to contact Pastor Roberts, and ask Rotarians to encourage their pastors and church/community leaders to get involved. Pastor Ken can be reached at or [email protected]. He will present to Rotary sometime in February.
TWO HISTORIC EVENTS THAT YOU JUST CANNOT MISS!
As you may know, Rotary International Conventions are fun, life-changing events and most are overseas – which creates a major barrier for many club members. But in 2017 and 2018, local Rotarians will benefit from some historically fortunate scheduling. Both of these conventions will be held in exciting locations that are driveable from Martinsburg – or you can fly or take Amtrak.
BOOKING UP! 2017 Rotary International Convention, June 10 – 14 in Atlanta.
Online info and registration More on Facebook
Special discount thru 12/15/16!
2018 Rotary International Convention, June 24 – 27 in Toronto.
Official online info