December 19, 2016 Grapevine
OUR ANNUAL HOLIDAY DINNER ON DECEMBER 15TH
What a festive evening. We celebrated the season with great food, libation, music, and comradery!!
(also see other Rotary and community announcements below)
Everyone got to sit in front of the tree for a photo. To see more pix, please click this link
1. President-Elect Mike Hite when informed that he must take over for President Brian Joliff who was not feeling well.
2. Thanks to his quick thinking (and drink tickets), Mike got into it – and a good time was had by all. Hope Brian is feeling better!
UPCOMING & URGENT – NOON & EVENING MEMBERS
Primary contact for evening (Satelite) group is Drew Bartoldson – [email protected]
- Taste of the Panhandle, January 14th: Lots of tickets are currently available ($85 per person). This is our signature event, it’s lots of fun and we need strong Rotary participation and a sell-out! A Chamber email blast just went out, so get your tickets before they are gone. Tickets available at our noon meeting this Thursday, or contact Leslie Crabill at [email protected] or Kresha Hornby at [email protected]. S
- Election update for Rotary Board of Directors (2 positions): Sandy Hamilton was the top vote getter, and is now elected to one of the positions. Pam Wagoner and Chris Johnson tied for second place. Therefore, we will have a run off election between Pam and Chris at the December 22nd meeting to fill the 2nd position. Thanks to all the candidates for such willingness to serve.
- Future noon meetings: Thursday
, December 22nd will feature a presentation on Rotary Flood Relief in WV (Pam and Pete). Students from Martinsburg High School will be featured at our January meetings. Each program in January will also focus on vocations/watch this spot for updates. If you have program suggestions, please see Amanda Vance Giangola, Program Chairman > [email protected]
- Next evening (Satellite) meeting: Thursday, December 22nd, 5:45 to 7 pm at The Hub. Program by Mike Hite (Rotary Foundation). All welcome. Bring a friend.
ROTARY NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
Also see “Communiy Announcements” below.
- NEWSFLASH FROM BILL STOVER’S HUMORARIUM > How many reindeer does it take to change a light bulb? Eight! One to screw in the light bulb and seven to hold Rudolph down!
- More greeters needed! See Sandy Hamilton.
- Annual Rotary Foundation Drive underway! Checks accepted at every meeting through June.
- Exceptional opportunity! Be a host family for the Summer Short Term Exchange. Contact Craig Bartoldson.
- The Rotary Club of Martinsburg extends its deepest sympathy to Rotarians Doug Roach, Steve Roach, Scott Roach and the entire the family of Joan Roach, who passed away last week. Here is a link to her obituary
- SPECIAL WRNR-Rotary Foundation Drive is in full swing. Innovative project raises money by allowing people and businesses to sponsor PSAs on WRNR for charities and non-profits. More people/businesses are needed to sponsor PSAs plus some Rotarians who would like to record some of the PSAs. 100% of proceeds go to our LOCAL Rotary Foundation. See Brian Jolliff or Mike Hornby for required form shown below.
TO ALL PERSONS MAKING NON-ROTARY ANNOUNCEMENTS: If you’d like it published in The Grapevine, please be sure to see Bill Yearout before leaving the meeting to insure that he has all essential info, as he often must attend other chores when community announcements are being made. If you missed him, you may EMAIL your info before noon Friday – for inclusion in the following week’s Grapevine >> grapevinemartinsburg@gmail.
- EP Community Foundation programs (including college scholarships) > click for info
- The end is near – last call for 2016 tax credits! CCAP/Loaves & Fishes has been awarded $50,000 in tax credits by the WV Development Office for 2016 which means that donors can receive tax credits of $0.50 per $1 contributed! Tax credits are limited to first $100,000 in total contributions received by CCAP. This is one of the highest NIP awards of tax credits to any organization in the state. Minimum contribution is $500. See Doug Frye for more info.
- Kevin Knowles has announced that zoning approval was granted by a unanimous vote of Martinsburg City Council for a private detox center to be located near the corner of Raleigh and Wilson Street. Facillity to open in August of 2017. > click for more info
- All are invited to celebrate the retirement of fellow Rotarian and Sheriff Kenny Lemaster (see below). RSVP by Wednesday, December 21st.
TWO HISTORIC EVENTS THAT YOU JUST CANNOT MISS!
As you may know, Rotary International Conventions are fun, life-changing events and most are overseas – which creates a major barrier for many club members. But in 2017 and 2018, local Rotarians will benefit from some historically fortunate scheduling. Both of these conventions will be held in exciting locations that are driveable from Martinsburg – or you can fly or take Amtrak.
BOOKING UP! 2017 Rotary International Convention, June 10 – 14 in Atlanta.
Online info and registration | More on Facebook
Special discount thru 12/15/16!
2018 Rotary International Convention, June 24 – 27 in Toronto.
Official online info