December 12, 2016 Grapevine
RECAP OF LAST NOON MEETING (Dec 8th)
also see Rotary and community announcements below
Greeter – Michael Whalton
Guests (hosts) – Anita Cooper (Walt Ridenour), Heather Band (Doug Band), Matthew Mosher (Tina Combs), Michael Bush (Kevin Knowles)
50/50 Tickets – Sold by Dana Knowles. Winner – Margaret Cogswell. Normal payout/no jackpot was drawn. Seller for upcoming meeting – Margaret Cogswell.
Birthdays celebrated – Pam Curtis, Craig Collis.
Election of officers/board was held. Results expected to be announced at next noon meeting.
Program – MHS Football Seniors (WV State Champs).
UPCOMING & URGENT – NOON & EVENING MEMBERS
Primary contact for evening (Satellite) group is Drew Bartoldson – [email protected]
- NOON & EVENING MEMBERS ; Both regular Thursday meetings this week are replaced by our free Holiday/Christmas Dinner, Thur
sday, December 15th at Holiday Inn. Cocktails (2 drink coupons pp) at 5:30 pm; entertainment at 6 pm and dinner at 6: 30 pm. Event is free for each Martinsburg Rotarian + one guest, but you must register in advance. RSVP NO LATER THAN noon Tuesday – by email to [email protected] or call 304 839-6622.
- Taste of the Panhandle, January 14th: Approximately 100 tickets are currently available ($85 per person). This is our signature event, it’s lots of fun and we need strong Rotary participation and a sell-out! A Chamber email blast just went out, so get your tickets before they are gone. Tickets available at our noon meeting this Thursday, or contact Leslie Crabill at [email protected] or Kresha Hornby at [email protected].
- Future noon meetings: Thursday
, December 22nd will feature a presentation on Rotary Flood Relief in WV (Pam and Pete). Students from Martinsburg High School will be featured at January meetings (no students in December). Each program in January will also focus on vocations/very interesting. If you have program suggestions, please see Amanda Vance Giangola, Program Chairman > [email protected]
- Next evening (Satellite) meeting: Thursday, December 22nd, 5:45 to 7 pm at The Hub. Program by Mike Hite (Rotary Foundation). All welcome. Bring a friend.
ROTARY NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
Also see “Communiy Announcements” below.
- NEWSFLASH FROM BILL STOVER’S HUMORARIUM > Santa’s helpers? Subordinate clauses.
- More greeters needed! See Sandy Hamilton.
- Annual Rotary Foundation Drive underway! Checks accepted at every meeting through June.
- Exceptional opportunity! Be a host family for the Summer Short Term Exchange. Contact Craig Bartoldson.
- SPECIAL WRNR-Rotary Foundation Drive is in full swing. Innovative project raises money by allowing people and businesses to sponsor PSAs on WRNR for charities and non-profits. More people/businesses are needed to sponsor PSAs plus some Rotarians who would like to record some of the PSAs. 100% of proceeds go to our LOCAL Rotary Foundation. See Brian Jolliff or Mike Hornby for required form shown below.
COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS AT MEETING
- United Way Holiday Openhouse is Tuesday, Dec 13 (5 pm – 6:30 pm) at their new Edwin Miller Blvd location. No RSVP required. See attachment. For other United Way activities > click here
- Reception at Historic McFarland House (409 S Queen) on Tuesday, December 13 (4 pm to 6:30 pm) to celebrate the transfer of Judge-elect Laura Faircloth’s law practice to Stedman & Riddell. Hors d’oeuvres/cash bar. RSVP – 304 267-3949.
- EP Community Foundation programs (including college scholarships) > click for info
- Deadline approaching for your 2016 tax credits! CCAP/Loaves & Fishes has been awarded $50,000 in tax credits by the WV Development Office for 2016 which means that donors can receive tax credits of $0.50 per $1 contributed! Tax credits are limited to first $100,000 in total contributions received by CCAP. This is one of the highest NIP awards of tax credits to any organization in the state. Minimum contribution is $500. See Doug Frye for more info.
- Kevin Knowles announced that zoning approval was granted by a unanimous vote of Martinsburg City Council for a private detox center to be located near the corner of Raleigh and Wilson Street. Facillity to open in August of 2017. > click for more info
TWO HISTORIC EVENTS THAT YOU JUST CANNOT MISS!
As you may know, Rotary International Conventions are fun, life-changing events and most are overseas – which creates a major barrier for many club members. But in 2017 and 2018, local Rotarians will benefit from some historically fortunate scheduling. Both of these conventions will be held in exciting locations that are driveable from Martinsburg – or you can fly or take Amtrak.
BOOKING UP! 2017 Rotary International Convention, June 10 – 14 in Atlanta.
Online info and registration More on Facebook
2018 Rotary International Convention, June 24 – 27 in Toronto.
Official online info