14 Aug | THE GRAPEVINE + Meeting notices
Good day, Rotarians!
HAVE YOU CHECKED OUT OUR INTERACTIVE FACEBOOK PAGES?
Our Martinsburg Rotary page is geared to ALL members, plus we have a special and separate Satellite Rotary page that also welcomes everyone. At both, you will find in-depth info on some of our events, and the ability to RSVP, register, buy tickets, etc. Please give them both a LIKE – and feel free to browse, post, comment and participate!
Weekly chuckle from BILL STOVER’S LEXOPHILIUM: Helium walks into a bar, The bar tender says “We don’t serve noble gases in here.” Helium doesn’t react.
See you at Rotary this Thursday for more weekly wisdom!
HIGHLIGHTS from noon meeting on August 10th
Greeter: Steve Truax
50/50: Page Burdette sold tickets. Manuel Washington won the ticket drawing AND the jackpot! Manuel will sell tickets at upcoming meeting.
Happy Birthday, Isabella Androwas, Elaine Bartoldson, Sandy Hamilton, Jim Klein, Rich McCune. Click to hear your song!
Club anniversaries – Doug Frye (8), Kevin Knowles (7)
Wedding anniversaries – none.
Golden Moments: Priceless smiles are now on sale for $1 each. Share yours at our next meeting!
Guests (hosts): Brandy Sims (Christine Glover), Charles Lowery (Jim Klein), Dr. Dwight Kemp (visiting Rotarian)
Club business –
- Please wear your name tag at each meeting. It’s friendly and helpful.
- More greeters needed. Please! See or email Sandy Hamilton.
Amy Orndoff from Berkeley Senior Services gave an outstanding presentation on the various services available to people in Berkeley County who are at least 60 years of age.
Rotarian minutes this week – featured Christine Glover, Manuel Washington, Buzz Poland.
Governor Mike Hornby – In the first 30 days of his term, Mike has visited 30 clubs! Whoa!!
HIGHLIGHTS from Evening/Satellite meeting on August 10th
Program – Member Bio. Kirstie Svehla.
SARAH STOCKER FUNDRAISER – REPORT FROM TAMILYN: It is such a pleasure and a privilege to do such great and amazing things with our group. We work so well together and everyone steps in. Ruby and Tracy thank you for taking the lead on this event. It was a great turn out. As of this moment we have raised over $3,000.00 dollars and we are still accepting donations until the 15th of August. It’s not too late to continue your Power of 10. I am truly blessed with you all as not only part of the group but as a friend. God Bless you all.
For more info/updates, go to > Satellite Facebook page
See Club and Community announcements below –
MEETING NOTICE/PROGRAMS – NOON CLUB
If you have suggestions for our main program, please see or email Program Chairman Jim Klein.
August 17 – Holiday Inn – Martinsburg-Berkeley County Library – Gretchen Fry, Library Director. If you bring a prospective member to this meeting, the guest meal charge will be waived. Be sure to get voucher from secretary.
August 24 – Holiday Inn – Berkeley County Football Coaches. If you bring a prospective member to this meeting, the guest meal charge will be waived. Be sure to get voucher from secretary.
August 31 – Holiday Inn – Club Assembly. If you bring a prospective member to this meeting, the guest meal charge will be waived. Be sure to get voucher from secretary.
MEETING NOTICE/NEWS – EVENING/SATELLITE GROUP
Usual time: Thursday, 5:45 pm. Usual location: The Hub. See below
Group leader – Tamilyn Clark; Club liason – Maria Lorensen
For more info/updates, go to > Satellite Facebook page
August 17 – The Hub – New member orientation for noon club and Satellite group.
Back to school backpack program: Please bring items that are on the list below to the next meeting. If you mention the items that you will bring maybe we can get enough items for a couple of back packs. I have I believe 12 spiral note books and 3 composition books. Items needed – Backpack, Loose leaf paper, Spiral notebooks, Glue sticks, Folders, Pencils, Colored pencils, Crayons, Erasers, Comp. books.
Ongoing – Help defray medical expenses of Sarah Stocker (project continues after July 27th event/see flyer)
MARTINSBURG ROTARY – NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
Also see “Community Announcements” below.
- Thursday, August 17th at 6 pm: New member orientation at The Hub.
- Saturday, August 19th, 9 am to 230 pm: This membership seminar extremely important for all members of the membership committee, but open to anyone wanting to optimize their Rotary experience. For more info and to register, contact Chris Johnson.
- August 30th (Wednesday), 5 to 630 pm – Rotary Mixer at the Purple Iris! For your convenience, this mixer is set up as a Facebook Event. Just click Rotary Mixer Event on Facebook for more details, to see some of those who are coming – and to RSVP. If NOT on Facebook, you may RSVP by email to > Gail Moxley or phone her at 304-260-4333
- September 12th (Tuesday), 8 am – 12 noon – Day of Caring! Need 10 -15 volunteers. Contact Kathy Mason.
- Dictionary Project time! Need sponsors and volunteers. Listen up at upcoming meetings for info on how you can participate in this great project that our own Dr.Kamath helped start some years ago.
- September Golf Tournament, sponsored by Interact at Faith Christian Academy. For date, times and more info, contact Berniece Collis .
- September 14 Crabfest! Sponsored by Sunrise Rotary.
(see guidelines at bottom of page)
- Friday, August 18, Flamingo Fandango (see flyer)
- Toni Saylor Concert Series at War Memorial Park, Thursdays at 7 pm until August 17. MBC Parks & Rec >Details.
- Farmers Market on Martinsburg Square, Fridays from 430 pm to 730 pm until Sept 1st. Mainstreet Martinsburg > Detail.
- Last free concert on Martinsburg Square, Friday from 5 pm to 7 pm until Aug 18th. Mainstreet Martinsburg > Details.
- BIKE NIGHT! Saturday, August 19th, 5 pm to 11 pm: Last year over 2,000 motorcycles participated in the police-escorted ride through the area’s rolling hills culminating in a street party in downtown Martinsburg. Organized by Main Street Martinsburg and Blue Knights WV chapter V this event is one of the biggest fundraising for both organizations. Stroll your downtown where downtown restaurants open, bike and apparel vendors on the street, as well as food concessions on each street corner. Visit the Beer garden, listen to great live bands, dancing, having fun in downtown Martinsburg.
- Monday, Sept 4 – Labor Day Breakfast. Get tickets early & often!!
- Throughout September, public school teachers in Berkeley County may apply to the Eastern WV Community Foundation for Mini-Grants > MORE INFO
- NEW TRAIL funded by Rotary T.O.P. contribution of $6653 to Healthy Berkeley! Dana DeJarnette, Bill Yearout and Steve Catlett presented project below to M/BC Parks & Rec Board this week, which was unanimously approved. Construction of Red section (and perhaps Gold section), to commence this fall. Thanks to a very resourceful Parks & Rec operation, our contribution will produce a LOT of much needed trail for our community!!
- Dr. N. Blaine Groves/Rotary Scholarship Fund: See the nice thank you below from recent recipient, Nicholas Miller. The Martinsburg Rotary Club created this scholarship fund at the Eastern WV Community Foundation in memory of Dr. N. Blaine Groves to benefit Berkeley County high-school graduates. For info on all scholarships available through EWVCF, click here.
- Farm to Fork Dinner, Sunday, September 24, 2017 from 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM. Almost sold out. For more info/buy tickets online > click here. Sponsorships – see below:
Link to Mainstreet Martinsburg Events
Link to MBC Parks and Rec
Link to Healthy Berkeley
A HISTORIC EVENT THAT YOU JUST CANNOT MISS!
As you may know, Rotary International Conventions are fun, life-changing events and most are overseas – which creates a major barrier for many club members. But in 2018, local Rotarians will benefit from some historically fortunate scheduling. The Toronto convention is an exciting location that is driveable from Martinsburg – or you can fly or take Amtrak.
2018 Rotary International Convention, June 24 – 27 in Toronto. Official online info
Rotary DACdb > Login
Your default user name is the email address you designated to Rotary DACdb. Your default password is your Membership ID number.
OUR CLUB ON FACEBOOK
Your likes, posts and comments greatly appreciated
Also includes archived editions of The Grapevine.
OUR OFFICERS –
President: Mike Hite 304 267-7400/w
President-Elect: Amanda Giangola, 304 229-6525/w
Vice Pres: Jim Klein, 304-263-3304
Secretary: Doug Arndt, 304 263-6906/w | 304 263-6207/h
Treasurer: Pete Dufourny, 304 263-2170/h
Sgt at Arms: Vickie Elliott, 304-263-0809/w
Ass’t Governor: Pam Wagoner, 304 263-1488/w | 304 260-9406/h
District Governor: Mike Hornby, 304 851-7451/w | 304 579-8510/h
OUR BOARD OF DIRECTORS –
Maria Lorensen (2018)
Sandy Hamilton (2018)
Elaine Bartoldson (2019)
Berniece Collis (2019)
Chris Johnson (2020)
Pam Wagoner (2020)
Pete Mulford (2020)
OUR COMMITTEE CHAIRS –
Elaine Bartoldson, Publicity
Craig Bartoldson, Intl Service
Berniece Collis, New Generations
Sandy Hamilton, Community Service
Chris Johnson, Membership
Pete Mulford, Rotary Foundation
Ryan Perks, Grant Projects
Pam Wagoner, Club Service
Bill Yearout, The Grapevine
Robin Zanotti, Vocational Service
OUR EVENING (SATELLITE) GROUP
Group Leader – Tamilyn Clark
Club Liaison – Maria Lorensen
OUR ROTARACT CLUBS – Berniece Collis, Coordinator
Blue Ridge Club Liaison, Maria Lorensen. Contact, Ron Richter, Todd Johnson
James Rumsey Club Liason, Vicki Jenkins. Contact, Shirley Mahoney
OUR HIGH SCHOOL INTERACT CLUBS – Berniece Collis, Coordinator
Hedgesville Club Liaison, Vickie Elliott. Contact, Tim Belotte.
Musselman Club Liaison, Bill Bowen. Contact, Chad Spencer.
Spring Mills Club Liaison, Tina Combs. Contact pending
Faith Christian Club Liason, Pam Curtis, Marilyn Schoon. Contact, Jen Stanley
Martinsburg HS is sponsored by Sunrise Rotary Club
OUR 2017-18 INBOUND EXCHANGE STUDENT – Gloria Figueredo Flores, from Paraguay
OUR 2017-18 OUTBOUND EXCHANGE STUDENT – Ben Merzouk (Hedgesville HS), to Argentina
OUR 2017 OUTBOUND SUMMER EXCHANGE STUDENT – Jemma Piasecki (Martinsburg HS), to Germany
Of the things we think, say or do –
Is it the truth?
Is it fair to all concerned?
Will it build goodwill and better friendships?
Will it be beneficial to all concerned?
I hope this edition of The Grapevine helped get your week off to a fine start. We look forward to seeing you each Thursday at Rotary.
Bill Yearout, Grapevine Editor
Grapevine email > [email protected]
GETTING STUFF IN THE GRAPEVINE (AND MORE) –
Please provide as much of the following as possible: (1) sponsoring organization(s), (2) event or project name, (3) dates/times, (4) location, (5) cause, (6) beneficiaries,(7) costs/needs, (8) actions needed/requested, (9) graphic or flyer, (10) contact name/phone/email, and (11) link to website, if applicable.
Please provide all essential info in writing (a printed flyer is perfect) to Bill Yearout at our Thursday meeting, or email to [email protected] promptly after meeting – or before noon Friday at latest.
Please do not submit stories or narratives, as time does not permit rewriting to fit our format. Also, please understand that circumstances at meetings are such that reliance on verbal announcements is problematic, and time constraints rarely permit running down incomplete, unheard or unclear info, especially with info presented in the community announcement segment of our meeting.
Photos and attachments: Please avoid low quality, low resolution photos. Due to a variety of issues, we normally do not publish attachments to The Grapevine.
The absolute deadline for submitting material to The Grapevine is noon Friday for the weekly issue that goes out Monday. This deadline is necessary so The Grapevine may be compiled and uploaded on Friday afternoon for automatic distribution very early each Monday – to our members and to the print shop, where it is printed/mailed for timely receipt by members who don’t have email.
Community announcements: Although Rotary announcements are the top priority, a special section is maintained to showcase community announcements for charitable purposes of charitable organizations that seem most actionable and relevant to Rotarians. If your community announcement meets these standards but was not included, it may be because clear/written info was not received at our Thursday meeting, or via email by our deadline. Any community announcement to be published for a non-charitable organization or purpose should always be pre-cleared with the President.
Limiting use of special emails:The Grapevine is our general means of communicating with members between meetings. Therefore, to help us avoid excessive emails to our members, please observe The Grapevine’s Friday noon deadline so that your info may be included in the next week’s edition. Any material for a special notice, bulletin or email should be especially pertinent to club activity and too time-sensitive to wait until the next Grapevine. If in doubt, please check with President to insure inclusion.
Know of a member who is not receiving The Grapevine? Please ask them to email [email protected] promptly so that the problem may be addressed.
Got it wrong or left something out? Please email [email protected] right away with all essential info so that it may be published in the next edition of The Grapevine.
With The Grapevine, each Rotarian is a reporter. As editor, I mainly compile, edit and publish. Thanks for your support and cooperation.
Bill Yearout, [email protected] 304 263-1707