April 24, 2017 Grapevine
This week’s Grapevine includes numerous timely items, including this great video > Rotary TV Ad on Polio
Bill Stover’s Weekly Wisdom: Red, white, and blue stand for freedom, until they’re flashing behind you
For more great wisdom, come to Rotary this Thursday!
RECAP OF THE LAST NOON MEETING (April 20th)
Greeter: Bill ‘Baseball’ Bowen
50/50: Pam Wagoner sold tickets. Steve Roach won the ticket drawing AND drew the winning card (around $800) Steve will sell tickets next week.
Birthdays – Bill Wertman, Barbara Pichot, Kim Reid, Art Thomm, Joseph Reasbeck, Frank Van Derhoff. On May 1st, Walt Ridenour will be celebrating his 99th birthday!
Club anniversaries – Terry Chambers (6 yrs), Vicki Barnard (4 yrs). One year – Christian Riddell, Lidia Alvarado, Drew Bartoldson, Christine Glover, Andrew Beckwith, Tamilyn Clark, Michelle Harlow, Wes Smith, Rachel Elkins, Adam Hoy.
Wedding anniversaries – Pamla and Mike Hite (25 years)
Golden Moments: Priceless smiles are now on sale for $1 each. Share yours at our next meeting!
Guests (hosts): Anita Cooper and Larry Cooper (Walt Ridenour)
Bill Stubblefield spoke about the Roadside Cleanup Endowment being administered by the Eastern Panhandle Community Foundation. Bill and Bonnie Stubblefield have contributed $500,000 to fund cleanup efforts that fseek to change attitudes and habits of those who litter.
Notice for upcoming NOON meetings –
Best and Brightest Students each week: April – Musselman HS; May – Martinsburg HS
If you have suggestions for our main program, please see Amanda Giangola, Program Chairman.
- Thursday, April 27th (noon at Holiday Inn). Main program features Sheriff Curtis Keller.
Notice for upcoming EVENING (satellite) meetings –
Usual time: Thursday, 6pm. Usual location: The Hub. See below.
Club liason – Maria Lorensen.
Grapevine liason – Tiffany Arnett.
Primary contact – Drew Bartoldson
Satellite Facebook Page
NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS – MARTINSBURG ROTARY
Also see “Community Announcements” below.
- Urgent situation! Our new inbound exchange student (Gloria Flores) arrives in August, and we STILL need a host family for part or all of the period from August to December (need not be Rotarian). Fortunately, hosting for the second semister has been secured. Anyone who MAY have interest are urged to email Craig Bartoldson or call him at 263-8931/w or 260-1367/h – asap!.
Meet Gloria Flores, our 2017-18 exchange student from Paraguay. She still needs a host family for 1st semister (see above).
- Special request from Sergeant of Arms, Ross Curtis: No matter how famous or infamous you are (or think you are), please, please wear your name tag at each meeting. There are reasons for this – and the Sergeant may be armed.
- More greeters needed! It’s good, clean fun. Contact Sandy Hamilton
- Great to see Jim Smith back at Rotary as he recovers from a recent fall.
- MAY 7, WATER & SANITATION AWARENESS EVENT IN BERKELEY SPRINGS: Drop by for some fun and inspiration! Our club is joining with 4 other clubs to demonstate filtration of raw water for the famous Rotary Shelter Boxes being used around the world. Event will also feature free well water testing and Interact and Rotataract clubs plan to conduct a bake sale. Brian Jolliff and Pam Wagoner are helping to organize and serve as your point of contact. See video > Intro to Rotary Shelter Box Project
- ROTARY FAMILY PICNIC, MAY 18th, 5 – 8 pm at Poor House Farm (Indoor Barn). Food catered by by ROCs, with BBQ and sides. There will also be beer, wine soft drinks, games and MAYBE live music. Email RSVP now to > Buzz Poland, Pete Mulford or Manny Washington.
- May 29, Monday, Memorial Day – Rotary’s FREE ‘Pancakes for Polio Breakfast’ – 8 am to 11 am.
Our Satellite Club has taken over this ‘free’ event, and is asking for volunteers from our club to help. Set up is 6 am, but help is needed throughout the morning. Primary contact – Drew Bartoldson
Volenteering or not – bring the whole family to War Memorial Park and enjoy a delicious, ‘free’ pancake breakfast with sausage, biscuits, sausage gravy and more. What a great way to honor those who have served our great country. Proceeds will benefit Rotary International’s mission to eradicate polio worldwide.
- REALLY BIG DEAL! June 2, Friday Rotary Foundation Dinner at HI. Speaker announced – Jeff Goell (RI Polio Project). Elegant event, excellent speakers, silent auction (items needed), special recognition for Paul Harris Felllows, major donors, and Governor-Elect Mike Hornby. .A portion of your tcket price counts toward your foundation/Paul Harris contribution and are available now from Brian Jolliff, Mike Hite and Mike Hornsby ($50 pp).
- SPECIAL WRNR-Rotary Foundation Drive is also in full swing. This innovative project raises money by allowing people and businesses to sponsor PSAs on WRNR for charities and non-profits. More people/businesses are needed to sponsor PSAs plus some Rotarians who would like to record some of the PSAs. 100% of proceeds go to our LOCAL Rotary Foundation. See/email Brian Jolliff or Mike Hornby for required form shown below.
- JULY 12TH (WEDNESDAY/THE WOODS) – ROTARY SERVICE SCHOLARSHIP GOLF TOURNAMENT!
See/email Allen Kees (or call him at 304-262-4960) for more information.
- MORE GOLF TOURNAMENTS FOR GREAT CAUSES – See community announcements below.
- April 25 (this Tuesday), 645 pm at Martinsburg HS Baseball Complex (P.O. Faulkner Park). Come enjoy the game and help celebrate Hospice night.
- April 27 (Thursday) through April 29th – It’s Chocolate Fest!
Some portions may require registration. For schedule and all details, CLICK HERE
- April 27th (Thursday), Panhandle Home Health MINIATURE Golf Tournament. Shotgun start at 1 pm at JayDee’s Family Fun Center. Registration/cancelation deadline is April 7. For more info and registration, see/email Chris Johnson or > CLICK HERE
- April 27 at the National Conservation Training Center
- April 28th (Friday, 630 to 930 pm), Little Black Dress Event. A fun way to support local youth literacy! Sponsored by United Way and part of the Fifth Annual Chocolate Fest and Book Faire hosted by Main Street Martinsburg. Event includes appetizers, desserts, a silent auction, boutique shopping, the Chocolate Lounge, signature cocktails and special musical performances. Tickets ($35 pp) may be purchased now at United Way (United Bank Building, just off Edwin Miller Blvd at 24 District Way) or ONLINE
- April 29 – Some fine Rotarians will be singing!
- May 1st (Monday) – a great cause and fine golf tournament at The Woods!
See registration and sponsorship form on this web page > Berkeley County Backpack Program
– OR see/email Pete Mulford asap.
- May 18th – ED Talks >
- CASA RIVER CENTURY – THE REGION’S TOP BICYCLING FUNDRAISING EVENT!
Saturday, May 20th. Register now > More event info/registration | More about CASA. | See/email Marilyn Schoon.
- Link to upcoming United Way activities
- Link to Chamber’s Calendar of Events
- Link to Mainstreet Martinsburg Events
TWO HISTORIC EVENTS THAT YOU JUST CANNOT MISS!
BOOKING UP! 2017 Rotary International Convention, June 10 – 14 in Atlanta.
Online info and registration | More on Facebook
2018 Rotary International Convention, June 24 – 27 in Toronto. Official online info
LINKS TO ROTARY RESOURCES
Rotary Club Of Martinsburg
President: Brian Jolliff 304 676-9940/w | 304 229-2151/h
President-Elect: Mike Hite 304 267-7400/w
Vice Pres: Amanda Giangola 304 229-6525/w
Secretary: Doug Arndt 304 263-6906/w | 304 263-6207/h
Treasurer: Pete Dufourny 304 263-2170/h
Sgt at Arms: Ross Curtis 304 754-5560/w
Ass’t Governor: Pam Wagoner 304 263-1488/w | 304 260-9406/h
Governor Elect: Mike Hornby 304 851-7451/w | 304 579-8510/h
MEMBER RESOURCE CENTER (DACdb) > Login
EVENING (SATELLITE) GROUP
Satellite Facebook Page
Club Liaison – Maria Lorensen
Primary contact – Drew Bartoldson
Satellite Grapevine contact – Tiffany Arnett
ROTARACT CLUBS – Berniece Collis, Coordinator
Blue Ridge: Club Liaison – Maria Lorensen. President – Eileen Kusnirak.
James Rumsey: Club Liason – Vicki Jenkins. President – Shirley Mahoney.
HIGH SCHOOL INTERACT CLUBS – Berniece Collis, Coordinator
Hedgesville: Club Liaison – Vickie Elliott. Advisors – Brad Sensel, Tim Belotte.
Musselman: Club Liaison – Bill Bowen. Advisor – Chad Spencer.
Spring Mills: Club Liaison – Tina Combs. Advisor – Scott Barner
Faith Christian: Club Liason – Pam Curtis, Marilyn Schoon. Advisor – Jen Stanley
Martinsburg: Sponsored by Sunrise Rotary Club
OUR 2016-2017 INBOUND EXCHANGE STUDENT
Wiktoria (Wiki) Warzycka at Martinsburg HS. From Poland/Denmark
OUR 2017-2018 INBOUND EXCHANGE STUDENT
Gloria Figueredo Flores from Paraguay.
Interested in being one of the host families?
Please contact Doug Frye or Craig Bartoldson – soon!
OUR 2017-2018 OUTBOUND EXCHANGE STUDENT
Ben Merzouk (Hedgesville HS) – to Argentina
OUR 2017 OUTBOUND SUMMER EXCHANGE STUDENT
Jemma Piasecki (Martinsburg HS) – destination pending.
OUR CLUB ON FACEBOOK
Your likes, posts and comments greatly appreciated
OUR CLUB’S WEBSITE
Also includes archived editions of The Grapevine.
FOUR WAY TEST
Of the things we think, say or do –
Is it the truth?
Is it fair to all concerned?
Will it build goodwill and better friendships?
Will it be beneficial to all concerned?
I hope this edition of The Grapevine helped get your week off to a fine start.
We look forward to seeing you this Thursday at Rotary.
Bill Yearout , Grapevine Editor
Grapevine email > grapevinemartinsburg@gmail.