April 10, 2017 Grapevine
This week’s Grapevine includes numerous timely items, including this great video > Intro to Rotary Shelter Box Project
For more great wisdom, come to Rotary this Thursday!
RECAP OF THE LAST NOON MEETING (April 6th)
Greeter: Lori Taylor
50/50: Marilyn Schoon sold tickets. President Brian Jolliff won the ticket drawing/did not draw the winning card. Brian will get some innocent soul to sell tickets next week.
Birthdays – Terry Chambers, Steve Barry, Billy Lopp and Bill Stover.
Club anniversaries – none
Wedding anniversaries – none
Golden Moments: Priceless smiles are now on sale for $1 each. Share yours at our next meeting!
Guests (hosts): Betty Stover (Bill Stover’s wife), Lillie Martirano (Bill Stover’s vivacious granddaughter, in 5th grade)
BEST AND BRIGHTEST FROM MUSSELMAN HS + A TRUE HERO!
Ethan Yost (lft) and Courtney White (rt), with 93 year young U.S. Army Lt. Art Staymates(ret), 1st Division 26th Infantry Division
We were truly inspired by 93 year young Lt. Art Staymates(ret), 1st Division 26th Infantry Division, and the fascinating story of his work at the Nuremberg Trials
Enjoyed presentation by Jason Baker about the local Habitat for Humanity.
Notice for upcoming NOON meetings –
Best and Brightest Students each week: April – Musselman HS; May – Martinsburg HS
If you have suggestions for our main program, please see Amanda Giangola, Program Chairman.
- Thursday, April 13th (noon at Holiday Inn). Main program features Pat Andrews from the Board of Childcare.
- Thursday, April 20th (noon at Holiday Inn). Main program features Bill Stubblefield and the Roadside Cleanup Endowment.
MORE ROTARY NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
Also see “Community Announcements” below.
- More greeters needed! Please contact Sandy Hamilton.
- Wishing Rotarian Jim Smith a speedy recovery at home from a recent fall. Emails (use link), visitors, cards and calls welcome!
- FIVE SCHOLARSHIPS ANNOUNCED from 17 applicants. The winners are Megan Hardy (Spring Mills HS), Courtney White (Musselman HS), Noelle Otto (Hedgesville HS), Elizabeth Granese (James Rumsey) and Eileen Kusnirak (Blueridge CTC). These scholarships are funded by our golf tournament, so your participation in this upcoming event really helps our students!
- MAY 7, WATER & SANITATION AWARENESS EVENT IN BERKELEY SPRINGS: Our club is joining with 4 other clubs to demonstate filtration of raw water for the famous Rotary Shelter Boxes being used around the world.. Volunteers needed for water brigade, testing and tasting. Event will also feature free well water testing and Interact and Rotataract clubs plan to conduct a bake sale. Brian Jolliff and Pam Wagoner are helping to organize and serve as your point of contact. See video > Intro to Rotary Shelter Box Project
- MAY 12 – 14 – DISTRICT CONFERENCE AT SPLIT ROCK RESORT: Fun in the Poconos (Lake Harmony, PA). Register NOW for best room rates and selection. No special rates offered after April 10. > Registration Form
- May 29, Monday, Memorial Day – Rotary’s free ‘Pancakes for Polio Breakfast’ – 8 am to 11 am.
Bring the whole family to War Memorial Park and enjoy a delicious pancake breakfast with sausage, biscuits, sausage gravy and more… served up by Martinsburg Rotary’s Satellite Club members. What a great way to honor those who have served our great country. Proceeds will benefit Rotary International’s mission to eradicate polio worldwide.
- ROTARY FELLOWSHIP PICNIC (date pending): Buzz Poland, Pete Mulford and Manny Washington have this underway – so watch this space!
- REALLY BIG DEAL! June 2, Friday Rotary Foundation Dinner at HI. Elegant event, excellent speakers, silent auction (items needed), special recognition for Paul Harris Felllows, major donors, and Governor-Elect Mike Hornby. .Tickets count toward your foundation/Paul Harris contribution and are available now from Brian Jolliff, Mike Hite and Mike Hornsby ($50 pp).
- SPECIAL WRNR-Rotary Foundation Drive is also in full swing. This innovative project raises money by allowing people and businesses to sponsor PSAs on WRNR for charities and non-profits. More people/businesses are needed to sponsor PSAs plus some Rotarians who would like to record some of the PSAs. 100% of proceeds go to our LOCAL Rotary Foundation. See/email Brian Jolliff or Mike Hornby for required form shown below.
- JULY 12TH (WEDNESDAY/THE WOODS) – ROTARY SERVICE SCHOLARSHIP GOLF TOURNAMENT!
See/email Allen Kees (or call him at 304-262-4960) for more information.
- MORE GOLF TOURNAMENTS FOR GREAT CAUSES – See community announcements below.
ABOUT COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS: Although the Rotary announcements (above) are the Grapevine’s top priority, I have established this special section to showcase community announcements that seem most actionable and relevant to Rotary.
- Please understand that reliance on verbal community announcements at meetings is problematic, and time constraints rarely permit me to run down missing or unclear info during the community announcement segment of our meeting, or after the meeting.
- Essentials for all announcements to be published: If you want your community announcement in the Grapevine, please provide me with the following (in writing much preferred) at our Thursday meeting, or email it to me before noon the next day > Sponsoring organization(s), event or project name, dates/times, location, cause, beneficiaries, costs/needs, actions needed/requested, graphic or flyer, contact name/phone/email, and link to website, if applicable.
- If your announcement was not included, it is likely that I did not receive all essential info at our Thursday meeting, or via email by our deadline (noon Friday). All community announcements to be published for a business or non-charitable purpose or organization should be cleared with the President.
Thanks for your cooperation!
Bill Yearout > grapevinemartinsburg@gmail.
- April 27th (Thursday), Panhandle Home Health MINIATURE Golf Tournament. Shotgun start at 1 pm at JayDee’s Family Fun Center. Registration/cancelation deadline is April 7. For more info and registration, see/email Chris Johnson or > CLICK HERE
- April 28th (Friday, 630 to 930 pm), Little Black Dress Event. A fun way to support local youth literacy!
Sponsored by United Way and part of the Fifth Annual Chocolate Fest and Book Faire hosted by Main Street Martinsburg. Event includes appetizers, desserts, a silent auction, boutique shopping, the Chocolate Lounge, signature cocktails and special musical performances.
Tickets ($35 pp) may be purchased now at United Way (United Bank Building, just off Edwin Miller Blvd at 24 District Way) or ONLINE
- May 1st (Monday) – a great cause and fine golf tournament at The Woods!
See registration and sponsorship form on this web page > Berkeley County Backpack Program
– OR see/email Pete Mulford asap.
- CASA RIVER CENTURY – THE REGION’S TOP BICYCLING FUNDRAISING EVENT!
Saturday, May 20th. Register now > More event info/registration.
See/email Marilyn Schoon.
TWO HISTORIC EVENTS THAT YOU JUST CANNOT MISS!
As you may know, Rotary International Conventions are fun, life-changing events and most are overseas – which creates a major barrier for many club members. But in 2017 and 2018, local Rotarians will benefit from some historically fortunate scheduling. Both of these conventions will be held in exciting locations that are driveable from Martinsburg – or you can fly or take Amtrak.
BOOKING UP! 2017 Rotary International Convention, June 10 – 14 in Atlanta.
Online info and registration | More on Facebook
2018 Rotary International Convention, June 24 – 27 in Toronto. Official online info
LINKS TO ROTARY RESOURCES
Rotary Club Of Martinsburg
President: Brian Jolliff 304 676-9940/w | 304 229-2151/h
President-Elect: Mike Hite 304 267-7400/w
Vice Pres: Amanda Giangola 304 229-6525/w
Secretary: Doug Arndt 304 263-6906/w | 304 263-6207/h
Treasurer: Pete Dufourny 304 263-2170/h
Sgt at Arms: Ross Curtis 304 754-5560/w
Ass’t Governor: Pam Wagoner 304 263-1488/w | 304 260-9406/h
Governor Elect: Mike Hornby 304 851-7451/w | 304 579-8510/h
MEMBER RESOURCE CENTER (DACdb) > Login
EVENING (SATELLITE) GROUP
Satellite Facebook Page
Primary contact – Drew Bartoldson
Satellite Grapevine contact – Tiffany Arnett
ROTARACT CLUBS – Berniece Collis, Coordinator
Blue Ridge: Club Liaison – Maria Lorensen. President – Eileen Kusnirak.
James Rumsey: Club Liaison – Vicki Jenkins. President – Shirley Mahoney.
HIGH SCHOOL INTERACT CLUBS – Berniece Collis, Coordinator
Hedgesville: Club Liaison – Vickie Elliott. Advisor – Tim Belotte.
Musselman: Club Liaison – Bill Bowen. Advisor – Chad Spencer. President – Matthew Betts.
Spring Mills: Club Liaison – Tina Combs.
Faith Christian: Club Liaison – pending
Martinsburg: Sponsored by Sunrise Rotary Club
OUR 2016-2017 INBOUND EXCHANGE STUDENT
Wiktoria (Wiki) Warzycka at Martinsburg HS. From Poland/Denmark
OUR 2017-2018 INBOUND EXCHANGE STUDENT
Gloria Figueredo Flores from Paraguay.
Interested in being one of the host families?
Please contact Doug Frye or Craig Bartoldson – soon!
OUR 2017-2018 OUTBOUND EXCHANGE STUDENT
Ben Merzouk (Hedgesville HS) – to Argentina
OUR 2017 OUTBOUND SUMMER EXCHANGE STUDENT
Jemma Piasecki (Martinsburg HS) – destination pending.
OUR CLUB ON FACEBOOK
OUR CLUB’S WEBSITE
FOUR WAY TEST
Of the things we think, say or do –
Is it the truth?
Is it fair to all concerned?
Will it build goodwill and better friendships?
Will it be beneficial to all concerned?
I hope this edition of The Grapevine helped get your week off to a fine start.
We look forward to seeing you this Thursday at Rotary.
Bill Yearout , Grapevine Editor
Grapevine email > grapevinemartinsburg@gmail.